Bizarre friend awkwardness

I have a good friend who lives on the opposite side of the country from me. We went to high school together and then she moved. In high school when we became friends I had a really intense crush on her for over a year. But I have since gotten over it. She is one of my best friends and I'm one of her best friends, and we have been talking every few days and keeping up on things, throwing around plans for me to visit and stuff.

Then a couple weeks ago I was a little bit drunk and got on aim and I decided to tell her about the fact that I used to be in love with her and stuff. I figured whatever, this was all in high school a while back, so it doesn't matter now. I just thought it was funny and that she would think it was funny. I misjudged how she would react though. She didn't say anything back even though the next day I wrote her an email saying "Hey, sorry about last night. All I meant to say was that I used to have a crush on you but I am glad that I got over it and we're friends now. I hope I didn't wierd you out, I like being friends with you" or something like that. She stopped talking to me, I haven't heard from her in a couple weeks.

I'm surprised by the reaction is because I thought she had a pretty good idea that I had a crush on her in high school. I always was a stuttering around her, I made a bet with someone that I could get her to go on a date with me, I walked her home a lot, sent a pizza to her house one time, I gave her this pin I got from varsity soccer (which she actually wore a lot), I made the whole thing painfull obvious. And she seemed flattered about it if anything at the time. It was like implied but I had just never announced it straight up before. And now that I have she is making a big deal.

I figured that by sending an email explaining, it was up to her to reply so we haven't spoken since then. I have known her for years and she is one of the people I have a long history with and talk to about everything. She also really valued me as a friend before, according to her. It sucks if it is all over because of stuff that is in the past anyway. I want to salvage the friendship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

She still hasn't spoken to me and took me off of her myspace top friends (I was number 1.) I can't believe it. I am going to consider this over until she decides to talk to me. I'm not begging someone to be friends with me. The friendship was more important to her anyway, I was the person she relied on the most and to me she was after several other people. I was just trying to be nice.

astarinthesky

Hello! This situation is very similar to that of a friend of mine.

Is it possible that she had feelings for you, and you bringing them up as a thing of the past may have hurt her? It would be very difficult for you to bring this up as a possibility to her, but just understand that her feelings of anger may actually be hurt and embarassment.

• Author
Hello! This situation is very similar to that of a friend of mine.

Is it possible that she had feelings for you, and you bringing them up as a thing of the past may have hurt her? It would be very difficult for you to bring this up as a possibility to her, but just understand that her feelings of anger may actually be hurt and embarassment.

That's what one would think because of the way she's acting. But I find it very hard to believe because the thing is she's straight. That's why I was making fun of the whole situation, I went after her when there was no chance. Then she acts shocked and offended that I finally told her I was over it. I think despite the fact that I date other people, she has been under the impression that I still liked her when I have just been friendly for the past year. How conceited and delusional.

I was so annoyed when she took me out of her top 8. I thought she actually valued the friendship, but it turns out she is just the kind of person who needs to feel liked and admired, she has a huge ego. I hope she enjoys the remainder of her life without me in it, but she probably won't because she's an ass and doesn't know how to treat real friends.