Why The Bar Scene Is Tough

Pickin up women at bars..vile...How about meeting someone SOBER at work, gym, sporting event ?

work? Even if you can avoid a sexual harrassment lawsuit, who's lucky enough to be in a work environment that actually has unmarried women in it?

gym? Probably the worst place in the world to approach strangers. Women, in my experience, hate people they don't know aproaching them pretty much anywhere, but at the gym it's extra offensive.

sporting event? What, like approaching them in the parking lot? Even if you ever do come across women by themselves (never happend to me, but I guess anything's possible) it's pretty hard to make conversation with someone you've never met before in a crowd.

• Author

Perhaps it has something to do with terminology. "Picking up" someone has a certain connotation. I have certainly never picked up a woman in a bar. It suggests a one night stand scenario. "Hitting on" women also is suggestive of an approach that sort of objectifies women.

Funny I can`t seem to find these drunk women in bars that are ready to get it on:laugh: Just joking here. But seriously, I don`t see all these drunk people in the places I frequent. It is not unusual to conversate with a woman who is drinking non-alcholic for the night.

Pickin up women at bars..vile...How about meeting someone SOBER at work, gym, sporting event ?

Yawn... Or church, perhaps?

bars don't work for most guys cause women there have their shields up big time. the only way to crack the defense is if he's rich or famous or very good looking....which leaves 95% of men out in the cold.

but i'm sure ERIK falls somewhere in that 5%

It is easy to pick up women in clubs but they are not women that I would want if I were still single. Maybe for some quick fun but that is it. The women in those places are usually just as big players as the men are.

I find it easy to chat up and be chatted up by men if the bar has a beer garden I can go into...but the moment I'm in a cramped, noisy bar I lose all interest. Bars just feel too much like a laboratory where the human courtship process is under scientific scrutiny. Mating should be initiated outdoors as much as possible, I think.

Old neighborhood bars are also good places to meet people. Clubs just have bad music and overpriced drinks and the people are fake.

Old neighborhood bars are also good places to meet people.

they are....but then you're only meeting the regulars who also tend to be your neigbours.

they are....but then you're only meeting the regulars who also tend to be your neigbours.

Not when you live in a tourist town.

Not when you live in a tourist town.

thats even worse! then you're meeting transients.

You also find out who's sleeping with who.

serial muse
You also find out who's sleeping with who.

Well at least everybody knows your name.

bars don't work for most guys cause women there have their shields up big time. the only way to crack the defense is if he's rich or famous or very good looking....which leaves 95% of men out in the cold.

but i'm sure ERIK falls somewhere in that 5%

I guess so, ALPHAMALE. That said, I suggest you read my posts again; I said that bookstores were better, as their shields were down.

Woggle, I use to live in a tourist town on the Jersey Shore. I'm not sure if things are the same as they were back in the Day. The girls that came in for week or a weekend from NY City or Philadelphia, They were there to have fun and sleeping with a Lifeguard or Surfer Dude was high on their list of fun things to do. It wasa fun time in my life.

I don't hand out in to many bars anymore. I live near some major ski resorts now . For the most part ski towns are the worse place in the world fora single guy. Ski Towns are full of testosterone filled guys and very few woman. The best City i have ever been in for meeting woman was San Francisco. There are a ton of single women in that city and every few single strieght men.

Chickychicky

I'm from Sydney and have also lived in London and Dublin. The pub/bar scene in each of these 3 cities is massive; it's a part of everyday life. I know that people who don't drink were often regarded with suspicion. We had weekly drinks in the workplace and quite often would head out together after work to a bar. The weekend, of course, was just one long bar/club/pub crawl (usually in that order).

Most of my friends have met their current SO in a bar... I've also had 2 LTRs with men I've met in a bar. One was through a friend who was drinking with us, and the other was a local at the bar I often went to on a Friday night. In Australia, England and Ireland at least, from my perspective, your best chance of meeting someone is by heading out for a drink.

We had some American clients in our offices last week and they were shocked that we had a bar fridge on every floor and a cocktail lounge on the top floor (I work in a big law firm). I think that Americans are a little more conservative with their views on drinking (especially since you have to wait until 21 to really get into it). This is fine, but it might explain why so many posts have said that the bar scene isn't the best place to find a mate. I don't know anyone who goes to church or book stores and I doubt you could start a r'ship by going to either of those places. If you lived in a culture which prioritises drinking like I do, you would probably feel differently.

Cheers!

I would prefer a nice low key club. I only have one drink and find if you are not joining in the "fun" it could be a problem. Not an alky but experience as a firefighter shows you what that stuff can do to you. People seem to more relaxed in low key places.

I would prefer a nice low key club. I only have one drink and find if you are not joining in the "fun" it could be a problem. Not an alky but experience as a firefighter shows you what that stuff can do to you. People seem to more relaxed in low key places.

You are a firefighter ? :)

I was one in Jersey and a volunteer in Indiana. I am an IT geek working in Chicago and a Naval Reservist.

I have never found a relationship in a bar. My relationships were found in college, on my commuter train, oh yeah in church. You can find a relationship wherever women are.

So, I do not online date for the same reason people are wary of bars. You have no outside reference on someone and are taking them at their word. That doesn`t mean you believe a word of it though. In the bar scene, just like online dating, when there seems to be reason, you choose to continue the dialog. I just can`t see the difference.

You'd be surprised what can happen though 'online dating'. :D

I was one in Jersey and a volunteer in Indiana. I am an IT geek working in Chicago and a Naval Reservist.

I just wondered because most firefighters are hella sexy :)

Hi,

Well, the bar scene sucks for me because I'm too crazy to drink.

I'm crazy enough as it is, than to put myself in one of those situations.

Last time I was at a bar/club thing, I had a couple drinks, went to the dance floor, pulled away a cute guy that was dancing with a girl, and kissed him in the mouth crazy.

Ariadne