Best Friends/Lovers with too much history!

latin_lady_nyc

latin_lady_nyc

This friendship has managed to get so screwed up, it riduculous. First let me say, "John" as I'll call him is one of my very best friends and has been for over 8 yrs now. But, in those 8 yrs we've managed to go from totally inseperable buddies, to friends with "benefits". I don't understand what I really feel for him, though. I love him to death. We talk very openly about each other's sex lives, which never bothers me. I do get very jealous and possesive if he's being romantic with a female, as in going towards relationships. I don't get this! I'm not in love with him like that, but I want him with me all the time, and the last time he fell in love I was devastated. Can anyone shed some light on this? Or, is this friendship just too twisted to even try to figure out? :D

Not_That_Innocent

It's probably too twisted to figure out - that's what FWB is in a sense - TWISTED. I understand where you are coming from because I am in a FWB relationship myself. Since we're just "friends" I have to support him when he talks about past relationships and other women, but at the same time it makes me a little jealous. He does the same thing to me in that he is a little jealous of one of my male neighbors whom I talk to and hang out with sometimes. He tells me that I'm spending too much time with him, but at the same time tries to be supportive because he knows that I need friends on my side. I think what is happening in my situation and yours is that we aren't doing a good enough job of separating the emotions, and the friends from the benefits. That is why some people refuse to be in this type of relationship because it's hard to distinguish the two. Is it possible that your FWB relationship will move forward to an actual relationship? Perhaps that what you should do, if possible. I'm pretty sure that my FWB relationship will never go beyond what it is right now and I'm okay with that because I don't want to date him. But at the same time, I'm terrified that he will find someone else and fall in love with her.

• 2 weeks later...
This friendship has managed to get so screwed up, it riduculous. First let me say, "John" as I'll call him is one of my very best friends and has been for over 8 yrs now. But, in those 8 yrs we've managed to go from totally inseperable buddies, to friends with "benefits". I don't understand what I really feel for him, though. I love him to death. We talk very openly about each other's sex lives, which never bothers me. I do get very jealous and possesive if he's being romantic with a female, as in going towards relationships. I don't get this! I'm not in love with him like that, but I want him with me all the time, and the last time he fell in love I was devastated. Can anyone shed some light on this? Or, is this friendship just too twisted to even try to figure out? :D

it sounds to me that he makes you feel good when you 2 are together but fellings can get in the way and ruin a freindship

FWB can be great...but you HAVE to have no feelings involved. As soon as feelings become present it just gets complicated. I know that for me...if feelings became present that was it. As great as it is...it cant be done.