He Can't Meet My Parents

Rory

Wow, I'm in a bit of a mess. I come from a conservative family, where you're not allowed to date until you're ready to get married and I am way too young to get married, and so I'm not allowed to date. But, that has never stopped me before, I'v had lots of boyfriends I just never let my family find out about them. Now, though i started going out with this one guy, and it started getting serious and then one day he tells me that he wants me to meet his parents, so i did and everything went fine. but now he wants to meet my family and he doesn't know that they don't know about him. how can i get out of this situation? i keep making up excuses about why he can't meet them yet, but i mean how long is that going to work? Please, can someone give me some advice? Thanks.

Living with this kind of weight hanging over you can be deadly. You need to come clean with this guy....and let him know exactly the position of your parents and why you have been handling things this way. If he's such a great guy he'll be totally understanding. If he's not understanding, you don't need him in your life.

If you are over the age of 18, you need to sit your parents down and let them know what they are doing to you mentally. I don't think they understand just what a disservice they are doing to their ownselves by denying themselves a very important part of your life.

They have spent all this time raising you and they are denying themselves the joy of watching you grow into a woman. That's really sad...but I do understand what conservative parents are all about.

I have found that even the more hard-core conservatives can be broken down, little by little, over time. But start by being straight up and honest with your guy and maybe he can help you overcome this parental obstacle.

If you are under 18, you still need to come clean and be totally honest with your guy...and you also need to honor your parents feelings somehow.