simple has turned complex

I am currently in a situation where a friend has started to potentially progress into something more. Normally i would be alright with this...however, the situation gets complicated. He is of a different ethnic background than me, which I have no problems with, however, his family is set in their ways that he is to marry someone of his own beliefs, etc. We have been friends for 3 years, and at the beginning of this year the friendship started to take a turn. Small things began happening. He would kiss me here and there, we would hold hands, etc. He would phone me every night, and text me before bed. Then one day the phone calls stopped, and so did the text messages.

You have to realize that he is extremely busy. He is a full time student, he works full time, etc...plays sports and so on...so he doesnt have a lot of extra time. I had figured that he was busy, not interested in "that kind of relationship", etc etc.

We hung out a few weeks ago, and it was just like we were friends again. There was no holding hands, no kissing, no nothing. Then no contact. It was like how our friendship used to be. But then he called me the other night, and asked me if i wanted to go out with some mutal friends. I said yes, and we did, and when we went to leave he kissed me, and things went like they were when we were "seeing" each other.

Now i am confused and dont know what to think. He says we are seeing each other...but at the same time, i rarely ever see him.

First of all, why the mixed signals...and second of all...what are the chances that he's just messing around with my head??

Any imput is greatly appreciated.