What on Earth does he mean by "I like you too"?

Hi, thanks in advance for the advice. :)

I've been pretty close with this guy for some time, and every time we speak we learn that we have so much in common. Every conversation with him is like a mystery being undone, and there's always so much chemistry going on between us. He also always seems to say/do the right thing when we hang out. Recently he even invited me to go watch Cirque du Soleil with him because we both are very artsy.

But he seems to be falling for another girl, whom he even finds annoying. She's a flirt, and likes him too. So yesterday I told him I liked him, and all he had to say was "Awww. I kinda had a feeling.". What does that mean?? Then he told me he was going to ask me if I liked him, but he didnt tell me he liked me back. It wasn't untill later on, when I asked him if the fact that I told him I liked him even meant anything to him, that he said "Of course. I actually like you too.". Though this was followed by me questionning him about liking the other girl, and him answering "I like her too. But you're nicer. I like both of you.".

What on Earth does that mean?!? How should something like that be taken? Should I be frustrated, or happy that he told me the truth about him liking the other girl? And is "I like you too" just something to say because he doesn't want to hurt my feelings by admitting he doesnt like me?

I don't understand, because we are so alike, and the other girl won't even accept him for who he is. It's as though he was taking the easier way to a girlfriend. Though now I'm questionning that, because he did say he had a feeling I liked him.

Please help, it'd be really appreciated.

Thanks so much.