booty call lines blurred?

I met my booty call about 6 wks ago. We met online & went for coffee a few days later. Since meeting we have talked on the phone once a day & about 2 wks after we met we agreed that being fwb would be best since we were both recovering from bad relationships. It was actually stated & I don't remember which one of us brought it up. Since then we talk daily about life, our kids, work, whatever. Every so often we meet and have incredible sex. He always calls me to chat, I never call him unless I am returning his call.

14 days ago we made plans to meet in another city (where he is temporarily working) on the following Friday. I was planning to go overnight to visit a female friend & we agreed to do something while I was there. I ended up seeing him on that Thursday and cancelling our plans for Friday night because I was really upset about a family matter. We talked Thursday several times after sex and I didn't hear from him until a week later. When he calls me he just wants to see whats going on and said that he waited a few days to call me (to give me a little space since i've got divorce crap going on) since I cancelled our plans for Friday and when he didn't hear from me finally called. We talked about general stuff & he told me to call him if I wanted to talk. I never ever call him, he always calls me.

Have the lines blurred? I thought that you weren't supposed to call unless you wanted sex. I guess I don't really know what to think. He's really sweet, but I've worked so hard to keep from having feelings for him. He's had a booty call before that ended with her having feelings for him & him getting pretty pissed about, so this isn't his first time.