1st meeting/date in the city w/ her friends

Ive been a little iffy about what to do. Ive read some advice articles not to do group date things in the early stages of dating someone, but im looking to see what anyone else thinks.

I just met this girl on the online personals sunday and we've been chatting the past 2 days getting to know each other. well, before the end of our conversation tonite, I asked her if she might be interested in going out on saturday nite with me. she said yes and she also mentioned that she was going into Manhattan Wednesday night for im guessing the Halloween festival and she invited me to go. She told me that a few friends were going to go as well and asked if I didnt mind. I said no and told her to give me a call tonite or tomorrow to make plans.

Im just wondering if this is a good idea to meet up with her like this for the first time and with her friends. It would seem very awkward seeing how i dont know her really well or her friends. I thought she was going by herself when she asked me. Im not sure if it seems like a good idea to do this. I would rather just go out with her alone saturday night and get to know her better..... I would appreciate it if i could get some advice / feedback on this situation.

thanks