How to pursue "friends before dating" relationship

I'm a junior in high school and met this really cool girl in class. I talked to her in between classes and after a while asked her out. She said she already had a boyfriend but thought i was really nice and wouldnt mind hanging out with me. I was confused as to what this meant. I had never hung out with a girl just to get to get to know her before and I wasn't sure what to do. She invited me to lunch with some of her friends and that was cool but I'm not quite sure what would be a good place for me to invite her to hang out . When I've asked her to go for breakfast before school or something she has sometimes confused that with my asking her out again before we got to know each other more. Right now I'm stuck. Im a really shy person and I've always found it hard to talk to her with lots of people around and when we're alone and we talk it feels awkward to her because she knows I'm interested in her. Now she's broken up with her boyfriend so now may be a good time to see if we can hang out as friends. Im really stuck right now and would appreciate any advice someone could give me. Thanks.

stuckhere80

Hi There,

Let me give you some advice that most high school guys do not get. If you wish to be liked by girls, be a good listener, that will go a long way. As for your friend, maybe ask her to go roller-skating or something fun. Do NOT follow the one track mind of getting down her pants, as that would be, well, not a dumb idea, but more like an incredibly stupid one. Also, be careful. Do not set yourself up as the rebound guy, as that would be yet another dumb move. Let her do most of the talking initially and see where that takes you.

Good Luck