Is it really over?

The Confused One

The Confused One

My boyfriend and I broke up a little after Christmas. We are from different states but we go to school in the same state so school is where we see each other. The break up was kind of mutual but it was initially his idea. He said that when he came to college, he was not looking for a girlfriend. He believes college is a place to have fun and date different people. I didn't agree with this but he assured me that he still loved me and only wanted a break and it wasn't forever. When we began going out, he did not think it would last over a year but it did. So we broke up but he said we would still be friends and he would always be there for me. He has not been there for me since our break up and refuses to talk about why things are the way they are between us. He was my best friend and now I am going through depression and seeing a psychiatrist. I just wish he would talk to me so I could understand. Does anyone have any advice about how to get him to talk?

He has not been there for me

since our break up and refuses to talk about why things are the way they are between us. He was my best friend and now I am going through depression and seeing a psychiatrist. I just wish he would talk to me so I could understand. Does anyone have any advice about how to get him to talk?

Confused,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent breakup. I think it's wonderful that you are seeing a psychiatrist. Since we can't possibly get anywhere near the amount of insight on you that your therapist can, I highly recommend pursuing this topic on your next visit. First and foremost, what matters here is your health. You shouldn't be talking to him until you deal with yourself. Boyfriends may come and go, but no matter what, you have to deal with yourself for the rest of your life. Now's the best time to take advantage of this opportunity and really get in touch with your needs and fears. I imagine that this has probably already come up with the therapist and you were told something you may not have wanted to hear. If that's the case, please at least consider what they're saying. We can only make educated guesses (if that) on this forum, and I think you've already taken a big step in the right direction by talking to a counselor. A word of caution though. Some people have a tendency to stereotype themselves and others when they say they're seeing a mental health professional. It's very likely that there may be nothing abnormal about you and that you just need a little help dealing with your present situation. I'm a firm believer that everyone should partake in therapy. Don't think that there's something wrong with you because you're seeing your psychiatrist, and please, please, please, continue to go until you are absolutely sure you are ready to lead a fulfilling life that isn't burdened by dark feelings. I wish you the best!

Best Wishes,

LoveAngel