...Does this sound reasonable to you...

XxBacktoBlackXx

XxBacktoBlackXx

My boyfriend and I are getting together tomorrow. We have been dating two months. We met on-line.

My parents are very protective of me. I'm 22 years old and I live at home in order to save money. I still have to ask permission to do everything and to go places. I'm so used to this type of lifestyle that I assume others will understand. My mom still won't let me drive when it looks sleety outside. I know it sounds horrible as I'm 22, but I do respect my parents and I feel that since I'm living in their house and am driving their car, I must be respectful. Recently, I've had a talk with my mom about how I want to have more choices as to when I decide to go somewhere (ie: visit my boyfriend for a few days), regardless of what she thinks of the weather. I told her that I think I'm responsible enough to tell when I should be driving as I have been driving for 7 years and have only gotten into one minor accident in that time which did nothing to my insurance and cost me zero dollars. I have never received a ticket. Well, my mom listened to me but I think she has a lot of trouble giving up control over me. Now that I've begun becoming more assertive, I can sense she is sad about this change and is a little bit mad at me. Tomorrow my boyfriend was supposed to come and visit me and meet my parents for the first time and then I was going to go back with him (he lives 45 minutes away) and stay at his place.

I feel like maybe it would be a better idea for my boyfriend to meet my parents when my mom has gotten a little bit more used to my situation and me speaking up for my feelings and going off places. I don't think it would be best for her to meet my boyfriend tomorrow as she is upset with me. Do you think it's reasonable for me to say maybe we should wait just a couple of weeks or just one week? I would still see him tomorrow; I would just drive to his place. This situation is really stressing me out. Thanks for reading.

Have you talked to your mom about how you want more independence and what you think is unfair? Or are you just becoming a little bit more outspoken?

Because if she sees changes in you lately but you guys haven't talked about it she's most likely going to think it's the new BF affecting you negatively. And she'd be right to think that seeing you haven't taken her feelings into consideration.

Have you talked to your mom about how you want more independence and what you think is unfair? Or are you just becoming a little bit more outspoken?

Um...sorry. :o I just re-read what you wrote and I see you two did talk about it.

And knowing that I would say that you should let them all meet so that they know who he is. It would probably make them feel better if they at least have met the guy. And when you go off with him they won't worry so much if he seems like he's a good guy.

I would go through with your plans for tomorrow. It will give you and your mom a chance to talk about him rather than just you talking about him. At least she'd have met the guy instead of wondering who he is. And that may make her feel better.

Does anyone have any opinions about this?

I think if he is a stand up guy - it won't be a problem at all.

I'd go ahead and let your folks meet him. If they like him, it may even calm their fears of their "little girl growing up" syndrome.

On the other hand, if he is one of those guys with a rough exterior, I would hold off.