Gift Idea?

So it's the holidays again, and gift shopping rears its head again...but anyways...this year, i've gotten really close to a friend of mine, and i do have feelings for her. She's an artist, and she's been complaining about how old her brushes are and how they don't work right anymore. Was just wondering if a practical gift...like a new set of brushes would work well...or whether i should get something more...extravagant? She's not extremely girly...so i can't see perfume, a dress, makeup, anything along those lines as being useful like i could see with other girls i know...any ideas?

It sounds like you've got the right idea. I think getting her something she will use and appreciate will be more effective than just another generic "girl" gift.

Make sure they're good ones though. Shelling out a little extra for some high-quality ones can't hurt your case any, you know? Not that I know the difference between good & bad paint brushes...

Brushes would be a great gift. However, they can be expensive.

If you know what medium she paints in you could get a couple of nice brushes and a couple of tubes of paint.

....Grumbacher is a reputable line of brushes found in most stores. The large craft stores might have the best bargains.

Edited by underpants
  • Author
Brushes would be a great gift. However, they can be expensive.

If you know what medium she paints in you could get a couple of nice brushes and a couple of tubes of paint.

....Grumbacher is a reputable line of brushes found in most stores. The large craft stores might have the best bargains.

I have to admit i have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to art and brushes and stuff...im pretty sure she uses various mediums...and ill check into the Grumbacher line...but i should probably subtlely check what she needs hahaha...for the record, she's not really expecting me to buy her anything

I have to admit i have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to art and brushes and stuff...im pretty sure she uses various mediums...and ill check into the Grumbacher line...but i should probably subtlely check what she needs hahaha...for the record, she's not really expecting me to buy her anything

Well,

I am not sure what types of brushes would be her standard. Does she paint very detailed stuff, or does her work entail wider larger brush stokes?

If you picked up a couple and just wrapped a bow around them I am sure she would love that. Everytime she picked up that brush to use it she would think of you.

I could use a new no. 5 round brush. :D

Some of my brushes are Loew/Cornwell....since I purchased them they are probably cheap...but they have lasted and worked well for a long time.

Grumbacher is the designer label in art supplies. It is like Armani. So if you only got a couple of those she would treasure them.

• Author
Well,

I am not sure what types of brushes would be her standard. Does she paint very detailed stuff, or does her work entail wider larger brush stokes?

If you picked up a couple and just wrapped a bow around them I am sure she would love that. Everytime she picked up that brush to use it she would think of you.

I could use a new no. 5 round brush. :D

Some of my brushes are Loew/Cornwell....since I purchased them they are probably cheap...but they have lasted and worked well for a long time.

Grumbacher is the designer label in art supplies. It is like Armani. So if you only got a couple of those she would treasure them.

I guess her stuff is more detailed than large brush strokes. She's really into painting people, and she likes to make everything as realistic as possible...kind of like the wrinkles in people's faces...minute stuff like that. No. 5 round brush? huh? hahaha yea...my knowledge about brushes and art extends about as far as knowing that you dip the bristles into paint and attempting to create something that ends up looking like mush...least in my case :lmao:

Well that is good news for you.

The smaller brushes are usually less expensive.

If you go into that department in a large craft store there will be a wall of brushes by different manufacturers. They should all be numbered anywhere from 0 to ?. Also they are classified by round or shader (flat). Some are angled. It is like candy.

I would get her a 0 or a 2 round, go for a 5 round, and maybe a 6 flat angled. That should not set you back too far.

Good luck.

If you can, try to find brushes made from the hair taken from a virgin on the day of her deflowering. They are the best you can find, but they can't be bought on the open market. Well worth the money.

If I were you I wouldn't get her brushes... She probably has her favourites and those are like tools... you got to get the 'right ones' ;)

If I were you, I would get a nice basket of goodies (chocolates, etc.) with a nice bottle of wine... a book... magazines... scented candles...

• Author
If I were you I wouldn't get her brushes... She probably has her favourites and those are like tools... you got to get the 'right ones' ;)

If I were you, I would get a nice basket of goodies (chocolates, etc.) with a nice bottle of wine... a book... magazines... scented candles...

hmmm...i can see where you're coming from, cept she did mention that her brushes were worn to the point that she really can't use them anymore...chocolate might be nice...cept she already got like 3 boxes from her girlfriends...she's not real into scents and stuff, and we cant drink...so...meh...and ill look into those brushes you mentioned underpants.

oh yea...johan's post really confused me hahaha

For what it's worth. A couple of brushes would mean so much more to me the a candle or candy.

It is a thoughtful idea and I think that is the best part.

Now get to the store before it gets too crazy.

• Author
For what it's worth. A couple of brushes would mean so much more to me the a candle or candy.

It is a thoughtful idea and I think that is the best part.

Now get to the store before it gets too crazy.

hahaha i already have my jacket on and im lookin for my keys