...How do you know you are NOT ready for a relationship?...

XxBacktoBlackXx

XxBacktoBlackXx

I am wondering how you know you aren't ready for a relationship? I've been dating my bf for 4 months. I love him, but I do have a lot of insecurities. I have been burned in the past. I thought I would be alright to date again but I feel like I rushed into it. He is meeting my family in 2 days and I am meeting all his friends (I have already met his family) at a New Year's party. I am starting to feel very nervous. I don't know why. :sick: I feel like since I am dating a younger guy, it's like a competition almost. For instance, he always says he can't wait to show me off to his friends and that they won't believe that I'm so pretty. While that's flattering, it makes me extremely nervous and feel as if I have to live up to these great expectations. I almost feel like some younger guys just want to show off a gf. Maybe it's because the date is coming up so soon that I am getting so nervous. I feel like maybe I shouldn't be in a relationship if I am always nervous about something and insecure about how I look, etc.

-When your not willing to compromise

- you want no strings attached relationships

_ You hate picturing a future with someone

those are a few I can think of

Also, every one has insecurities with their self, one way or another.. If you really care for him you shouldnt let that stop you from being with him

Edited by EYECANDY000
For instance, he always says he can't wait to show me off to his friends and that they won't believe that I'm so pretty.

He actually says this?? :confused: I can understand, "Don't worry, they'll love you!", but that? You have good reason to worry about his intentions, I'd say. Seems like a very superficial thing to say, and I would never do that. Yes, it's good that he finds you attractive, but he should not be showing you off like some kind of prize.

Also, 4 months seems like a long time to just be meeting his friends. Something just doesn't seem right about the whole thing. If he's really that excited about "showing you off", why did it take 4 months? Maybe I don't have enough info to draw any conclusions, but I'd proceed with caution. You do sound ready for the relationship. I'd say meeting family would be more nerve-wracking than friends, and you've already passed that.

He actually says this?? :confused: I can understand, "Don't worry, they'll love you!", but that? You have good reason to worry about his intentions, I'd say. Seems like a very superficial thing to say, and I would never do that. Yes, it's good that he finds you attractive, but he should not be showing you off like some kind of prize.

Also, 4 months seems like a long time to just be meeting his friends. Something just doesn't seem right about the whole thing. If he's really that excited about "showing you off", why did it take 4 months? Maybe I don't have enough info to draw any conclusions, but I'd proceed with caution. You do sound ready for the relationship. I'd say meeting family would be more nerve-wracking than friends, and you've already passed that.

Definitely agree with Saxis...first the whole "they won't believe that I'm so pretty"...wow...seriously? This reminds me of an ex i had in high school who used to tell me how he bragged about me being a junior while he was a sophomore...very immature...

Then...4 months to meet friends? thats a long time, although I do have to say meeting the family is very important (and a looot more nervewrecking..) why didnt he introduce you to his friends earlier??? was he dating someone else in the meantime? not to make you paranoid, but thats just odd.

In regards of being ready for a relationship, you may be fearful not of being ready for a relationship in general, but more of being in a relationship with this guy. But just in case, try to imagine how you would be with someone else, someone who has all the importat qualities you would like in a boyfriend, and if you still think you would feel the same way, then maybe you are not ready. If not, then is this current relationship that is the issue, and if thats the case then you may want to look at what is bothering you and talk it out with him.

Edited by 4givrnt4gtr