Mutual love, but age difference fear

I have been spending a considerable amount of time with a much younger woman for several weeks. 22 year age difference. We have become very emotionally attached to each other and also to each others children. Last week her best girlfriend told me that she told her that she is in love with me, but is scared over age, her maturity, etc.... I asked her is she is in love with me and confessed to her that I am in love with her. She told me that she is not mature enough for us in her mind. I told her that we could grow together and take the risk and I told her that I would not hurt her. She told me that she is afraid that she will hurt me and is not willing to take the risk of hurting me. Based on this I met with her and told her that because I am in love with her and she is not willing to take the risk, even though she feels the same way, that I need to not see her for awhile in order to get my emotions in order. Why is she telling others she is in love with me, but won't tell me and move forward. Was I right to tell her I need a break for my own heart. What direction should I go now, I am willing to take the risk with her and face the complications of age difference, etc....

Edited by dtasmiser
typo

Few questions come to mind:

1) Are you single?

2) Is she single?

3) How old are you?

4) How old are your kids?

5) How old are her kids?

• Author

I am widowed, after 22 yr marriage, fairly recent within the last year. She is single. She has a 3 yr old son, I have a 20 yr old mentally disabled daughter (Cerebral Palsy) and a 19 yr old daughter that lives with her boyfriend. I am 45 yr old and she is 24 yr old.