Standing on the edge of a cliff...

I am 21 and have so far had a very limited sex life. I've had a crush on this guy I've known whose 9 years my senior, as we have lots in common and he's *extremely* sexy. Anyway, a few months ago he found out how I felt about him and to my surprise started flirting with me. We started having long chats punctuated by shy kisses. Things have escalated now to the point where we are having heavy petting sessions and exchanging dirty text messages/emails. I feel that the 'friendship' side of our relationship has unwittingly been replaced by the 'sex' side. Although we still talk and have a laugh, my thoughts are constantly tainted by lust and I can hardly even finish a decent conversation with him anymore because my brain gets totally scrambled thinking about sex. He keeps pushing my boundaries and although I am a bit scared I am also excited at the prospect of finally experiencing a fulfilling sex life. On the other hand, I know that he isn't in a position right now to commit to an emotional relationship and although things have been fine so far I'm not sure if I can seperate my feelings for him once we actually start having sex.

So what is my question...? I'm not sure. I am just a little nervous about what I am getting myself into. I feel like I could be swimming out of my depth with him but can't stop myself.