Friends with some benefits, why not all? Any ideas?

I have a friend whom I love dearly that I've been attracted to for several years. He's the first man that I've met that I feel I can talk to about anything and everything. He's been there for me when I've been down, always supportive and caring when I tell him my troubles. He's gone out of his way to help me when no one else has. I enjoy his company and I love our conversations. It makes me happy just being around him.

We've already been intimate (just short of having sex) on several occasions, yet he says he won't have sex with me, which I find confusing since he seems to have no problem with other women. I've asked him about this, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I don't mind that he has other girlfriends and I've told him so. So I'm just wondering if anyone might have any ideas on what might be holding him back in this case.

yagottahelp

Maybe he respects you more than those other woman? maybe he feels that it's not fair to your emotions to just have sex with nothing else.......

Just be glad he respects you! Why would you want to be FWB with someone you're so emotionally attached to? It's either friendship or relationship, once you're emotionally in.

FWB only works with people you're not attached to, and only until you start to get attached to them... believe me.

good luck!

-yes

So what makes you so sure he has no problem with other women??? Have you seen him have sex with them???

In any case, it seems he sees you as a close friend and there's nothing wrong with that. You simply have to accept his explanation or non-explanation of why he doesn't want to have sex with you.

So now you're on notice that you won't get any from him. Continue being his friend but seek romance elsewhere. This guy is obviously NOT your Mr. Right, at least not for the foreseeable future.

• Author

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd like to think it's because he has more respect for me. I'm not done having this conversation with him yet. I know he'll give me an answer as soon as I see him again. I just wanted an outside opinion to think about as well. If anyone else has any thoughts I'm interested in hearing them as well. Thanks again.

longlegzs80

It seems that your friend does not want to break up the friendship. It sounds great that both of you have been friends for years but do you want to ruin that with intimacy. It might not be ruined by being intimate with eachother, but things between both of you would probubly be ackward. Don't ruin the friendship by being intimate. Maybe you should bring up the possibity of dating one another, if he is up for it. But the friends with benifits thing should not happen. It can really ruin what a great relationship that you already have with one another. Good luck to you.

yagottahelp

I agree with the last post, do not be friends with benefits if you value the friendship, i can't see that doing anything but degrading what you already have.