Is this cheating?

Before I get into who has done what,

if you TRY to cheat, but it doesn't happen, is that still cheating? Is that crossing the line?

For example, say you invite someone into your hotel room or bedroom and they refuse.

Is it still considered cheating or crossing the line?

Luv ta know....

LucreziaBorgia

I would say that once the intent is there and you attempt to act on it, regardless of what transpired - yes, it is cheating. It might be a lesser degree of it but it still is. The only thing that stopped it was that the OP backed out. Chances are, if they got away with it, they will simply try to cheat again at a later date.

Lookingforward

I'd have to agree - the only reason you didn't go through with your cheating was the other person wouldn't play along.

I don't think it is. If someone comes to your hotel room who you were planning on killing, but for whatever reason you end up not killing them, you wouldn't be guilty of murder. Same with your scenerio. But crossing the line? Definitely! I would definitely say that is grounds for breaking up.

• Author

Well, to be clear, this wasn't me.

Fun2BeMe, you have a certain point, but the intent is still there, right?

I mean, if the murderer still WANTS to do it, but was only foiled, that says much about his self. Don t you think?

whichwayisup
if you TRY to cheat, but it doesn't happen, is that still cheating? Is that crossing the line?

Your intention to cheat was there, so technically speaking I would say you have cheating on your mind which you want to put into action even though "it" didn't happen, it is cheating.

For example, say you invite someone into your hotel room or bedroom and they refuse.

Your intention to cheat was there. If that person had come to your hotel room, you would have cheated, yes?

Is it still considered cheating or crossing the line?

Definately crossing the line and once again, with the intention of cheating in your mind.

If you plan to murder someone, and you take concrete steps to accomplish your goal, like shooting at him but missing, you have committed the serious crime of attempted murder. It is punished somewhat less harshly than actual murder, because even though your heart was in the wrong place, no actual harm ensued.

If you plan to cheat (i.e. have sexual relations outside your relationship), and you take concrete steps to accomplish your goal, like inviting a desired sex partner to a hotel room, you have committed the relationship "crime" of attempted cheating. The punishment will be up to your spouse/SO and I'd definitely advocate for having it be somewhat less harsh than for "completed" cheating.

That was an easy one.

yes, it is cheating. you (hypothetical you) have cheated in your heart and in your mind.

If you went to your spouse, mate, SO, partner, whatever and said, "Last night I invited a memberf of the opposite sex to my hotel room with every intention of having sex with them but they didn't show up so I didn't cheat on you," do you think they would be OK with that?

If they would, I think they'd be desperate and needy.

It's cheating!

hi curmudgeon - i was walking through town one day and this guy came up to me...saying i was gorgeous (vomit) and would i think about going to a hotel room!!:mad::mad::mad: well, after giving him short shrift and sending him packing, i was left thinking what a total and utter creep!!! i feel sure he had a wife or girlfriend (why a hotel room if not?) and i felt so sorry for her, to be stuck with a cheating thing like that for a boyfriend/hubby!! if the intention is there, that's all that counts. it's cheating!

You see these people all around you.

Men and women are no different.

My husband doesn't understand me blah blah....... Heard that one in an unlit public toilet from a woman who followed me in there!!:sick:

I always feel sorry for the people who feel the need to do this kind of thing, I don't get it, can they not see how they are portraying themselves?

Hello back, Starla. The shere audacity of some people absolutely amazes me. So, too, do the excuses they make for themselves to excuse their unacceptable behavior. Even more astounding are those who make the excuses for them. That tells me the latter also indulge in the same, licentious, hedonistic behavior with no regard for their existing relationships.

As always, just one man's opinion, and it mught just be that I'm getting old!

You see these people all around you.

Men and women are no different.

My husband doesn't understand me blah blah....... Heard that one in an unlit public toilet from a woman who followed me in there!!:sick:

I always feel sorry for the people who feel the need to do this kind of thing, I don't get it, can they not see how they are portraying themselves?

yip - me too. i always feel for the husband/wife stuck at home!!

curmudgeon - i can't believe either the brass neck on some people. i wonder where their dignity is, to go about seeking sex with random people. they must have no real self respect.:confused:

If you plan to murder someone, and you take concrete steps to accomplish your goal, like shooting at him but missing, you have committed the serious crime of attempted murder. It is punished somewhat less harshly than actual murder, because even though your heart was in the wrong place, no actual harm ensued.

If you plan to cheat (i.e. have sexual relations outside your relationship), and you take concrete steps to accomplish your goal, like inviting a desired sex partner to a hotel room, you have committed the relationship "crime" of attempted cheating. The punishment will be up to your spouse/SO and I'd definitely advocate for having it be somewhat less harsh than for "completed" cheating.

That was an easy one.

I will have to agree with this. I was actually thinking about "attempted murder" charges but wasn't sure if attempting was punishable. But it's definitely not in the seame category as having completed the act FOR WHATEVER reasosn.

Another example would be if a woman is 8 months pregnant then miscarries, she can never say she has given birth, even though she was 'that' close and she had 100% intention to!

Another example would be if a woman is 8 months pregnant then miscarries, she can never say she has given birth, even though she was 'that' close and she had 100% intention to!

That would be considered a stillbirth. This past year I was instrumental in pushing through legislation in my state that accords women who have a stillbirth in which a fetal death olccurs after the fetus has advanced to or beyond the 20th week of uterogestation a Certificate of Still Birth. Prior to this law, all the parents received was a death certificate and the requirement to bury or cremate the baby. That gave them no closure or acknowledgement that there ever had been a baby born, still or not. Many go full term yet don't draw a breath.

The bill enacted the Missing Angels Act.