My BF hates animals and I love them..what to do???

BitsieTwoBits

BitsieTwoBits

This may be a silly question, but it is important to me.

I have always been an animal lover and have had pets my whole life. Well my BF (whom I just moved in with) didnt have pets when he was growing up and doesn't care for them. I can't stand not having a pet, but when I bring it up to my BF, he just says "Hell no", because he doesn't want the house to stink, which all I want is a cat, and cats don't stink!

I cant stand it....I really want a cat. Is there something I can do to change his mind???

Make a deal with him. Tell him you will get a cat and you will agree to get rid of it the very first time there is an odor. If you do that, you will have to get expensive litter and scoop it often, deodarize the room it's in, be sure the cat is neutered so it doesn't spray, and make sure when it's sick it doesn't urinate on the carpet.

It's extremely hard to have a cat and not have odors. Cat lovers aren't bothered by them and the brain can make internal adjustments so you don't smell them yourself...but others can.

I can understand your boyfriend's position...and I certainly understand yours as well. It may be that you will ultimately have to decide between a boyfriend...or a cat.

HokeyReligions

"love me, love my dogs" has always been my motto. I could not and would not be with someone who didn't fully accept my dogs and understand that I love them and need them in my life.

You can't change a person and even if he agrees to tolerate a pet, there will be stress between you, and think of the pets feelings too - they know when they are not loved.

You might try to introduce him to other people's pets, and maybe even visit your nearest SPCA and let him see and hear about the needy animals - maybe he will begin to develop a soft spot.

My husband had dogs growing up and he loved them, but not like I do. He didn't know that they had feelings and unique personalities, and quirks and needs just like people. Animals were "things" to him and he was willing to tolerate them for me. Gradually, he learned that they are each as unique as people and we currently have five dogs, all very different and special.

If your guy doesn't come around, you really need to determine if he is worth sacrificing pets forever. What if you marry & have kids - kids love pets and, in my opinion, parenting/owning a pet is a vital part of growing up and teaches so much. besides, did you know that people who have pets suffer less stress-related illnesses and live longer than those without.

I couldn't imagine not having pets - I'm a dog person, but my good friend is a cat person and she has 4 cats currently & feels the same as I do.

Just A Girl2
It's extremely hard to have a cat and not have odors. Cat lovers aren't bothered by them and the brain can make internal adjustments so you don't smell them yourself...but others can.

Excuse me? You make cat lovers (therefore owners) out to be a bunch of piglets who simply CHOOSE to overlook the "odors" created by the cats.

Cats are meticulous animals in that they are always grooming themselves. If a home smells due to the cat(s), it's the fault of the OWNER, not the cat. Yes, all cats should be spayed and neutered...and neutering will certainly cut down substantially on 'spraying' behaviors. Cats should be kept indoors versus left to roam around outside, getting into god knows what due to their curious nature.

Good quality cat litter should be used.....and scooped on a daily basis by the OWNER.

If a cat ever DOES pee outside of the litterbox, it's not because it's a "slob"..it's because there's something else going on: most commonly is a "urinary tract infection" that must be dealt with at the Vet ASAP, or some underlying health problem..or, the owner is a slob and doesn't scoop out the box regularly and the objects to having a filthy box so will 'react' be peeing outside of the box.

I have 5 strictly indoors that I've had for years and you will never find odors in my home whatsoever. Prior to the new home I bought, I rented for a few years..and rented homes where no pets were allowed (but I was not about to get rid of my cats for anyone), and there would have been a huge fine to me had I been caught, including eviction. Of the 5 homes I rented, who had extremely meticulous landlords or property management people, not one of them ever knew I had cats.......and each time I moved out, I was praised for having left the place cleaner than when I'd moved in. There was no damage, no pee on the carpets, no smell whatsoever.

I would not advise someone who's living with someone who's adamantly opposed to pets (cats or dogs) to go ahead and get one because they want one. Personally, being the animal lover that I am, I simply would NEVER live with someone who didn't care about animals as I did. All 5 of my cats were rescues I found over the past 11 yrs.

To the gal who posted, as much as you want a cat......you have to consider that if you get one, it could be real source of fighting between you and your guy........to the point where you're forced to get rid of the cat. An animals requires a LIFELONG (life of the animal) home and commitment....not to end up in a shelter or pound (which is sure death/being put to sleep because there are millions of animals in shelters and not enough homes.....and the number thatmust be put down daily is heartbreaking) or on the street because someone in the home doesn't want it.

Then there's also the costs involved.....owning a pet isn't free. And if your guy is so opposed to a cat, what happens when there are Vet costs? spaying/neutering, vaccinations, dental cleaning, emergency things that come up....these can really add up, let me tell you. (My diabetic cat was at the Vet today, I'd found a small lump on the side of his neck, both sides, Vet thinks it's just salivary glands, but she had to insert a needle and take a sample of the fluid to be sent off......just to do that, which took 5 minutes, was $167). What about the cost of good litter? QUALITY food? (when you feed a cat cheap grocery store food, you pay for in the long run, when the cat is older)

My only suggestion to you, then, if you're hellbent on getting a cat, is to look into some kind of organization in your area that rescues cats...and looks for "foster homes"...people who will temporarily home a cat until a permanent home can be found......that way you can have the cat for a short period of time and see how your b/f does with it........if his heart changes or not.......

Most of the animals in a shelter or pound (who generally only have 5 days to live before being put down) are there because an owner changed their mind or didn't want the pet after all.........it's very sad.

I agree with Tony. Every person I've known who's had cats, you could smell them in the house. I don't think there's any pet that is totally odorless. I have four dogs and I'm sure people who don't have pets notice "something" when they come in my house, even though we don't. I definitely think loving the animals makes you more immune to the smell, even if it's slight.

It sounds like you may have to make a choice between that particular boyfriend and having a pet.