birthday present...a ring?

just a guest here...

just a guest here...

Hi all...sorta confused and lost here...and so hope someone can clear things up a bit for me....my girlfriend's 21st birthday is coming up soon...and was just wondering....is it ok to give her a ring? (we've only been going out for 2months but have known each other for over 2yrs now)...so by giving her a ring...it doesn't automatically mean that i'm proposing to her right? (cause i'm not proposing to her...)...so yeah...any help on this would be appreciated....

I know you've known her for two years, but you've only been dating two months. A ring of anykind, engagement or not, would be a bit inappropriate in my opinion. If you want to get her jewelry, get her a simple but tasteful necklace or a nice bracelet. Earrings would be nice for Christmas. Do the ring thing on Valentine's Day....if it feels right for you to do then. Giving to much too soon will not be meaningful to her and could be a turn off because you would be showing your emotional cards a bit soon.

I don't think that's a bad idea at all! You could just give her a regular ring...it doesn't have to mean you are asking her to marry you or anything! I mean, girls always love jewlery! Just get her a regular pretty ring - and that way, when and if you do ever propose, you can have an idea of what kindof ring she likes.

If you are serious about her, you could get her a promise ring to show her that you are serious about her. My husband gave me a promise ring after we had been dating for about a year. It was just a simple heart shaped ring. It just means that you want to be with her and you are planning on proposing one day....but it shows that you care about her a lot...and if you haven't told her you loved her yet - this would be a great opportunity. If you DO love her, that is.

But, yeah, great idea!

just a guest here...

Hey all, thanks for giving some input; it was much appreciated....think I'm gonna go with the promise ring idea since other people I've asked seem to think it's a good idea as well....so hopefully it'll all turn out good....

Two months is a little too soon for a promise ring IMO. Even if you have known her for two years, dating and knowing someone are two different things.

How about a regular ring in her birthtone or favorite stone?

Years ago my boyfriend in hih school gave me a promise ring. When we broke up it became a worthless. I could not wear it and he could not give it to someone else. Had he given me another type of ring I could have worn it and had good memories of him when I saw it.

just a guest here...

Are there any difference between a 'normal ring' and a 'promise ring' in terms of appearance/physical form? What constitutes as a 'normal' ring and a 'promise' ring???

sniknuoychris

if you go with the promise ring idea, it does not have to be expensive. one thing you can think about is something like a promise to be her best friend through anything.

2 1/2 years ago my best friend did that for me when i was down. we have been dating now for 2 years. the promise ring does not imediately upgrade your relationship to extremely serious. the choice is up to you. just something to think about