What's in his mind?

There is a guy who was my co-worker and is now having leave of absent and studying 500 miles away from me.

I was staying aloof from him (no email, no contact) after he departure coz I know I have feel towards him, I was hoping the feeling will fade as time goes by... Before he left for school, he kept reminding me that we are best friends of each other (where I don't think so)..

2 months ago, I happened to drop by the place where he studied, however, I was hanging around with my female friend (common friend of me and him), and not letting him know about my appearance. During that stay, I got his SMS asking whether I am in town, so i said yes, and he didn't reply back...

After that, he gets on the habit to call me once a week, usually around the weekend and we chat happily for hours. However, he told me that he also calls the other gals and chat, but he clarified that he was just trying to help them out on some other matters and they are not their target.

Can somebody tell me what's going on with him? Is he making the once-a-week call just as a matter of maintaining friendship? Every weekend I have his image in my mind and I have to go through the whole week to get him off of my mind and then here come his call again...