How do we become just friends after 4 years of a hot, steamy relationship?

julietverni

My boyfriend of almost 4 years broke up with me 2 months ago and we're still living together until I find a new place. We want to remain best friends and we're trying to act like just roommates, but we're both still attracted to each other and it's hard for the both of us not to go back to those comforts of cuddling naked in bed or having sex. When we were together we had an amazing sex-life and we still love having sex.

Any advice on how we can both just move on from that and become friends and nothing more?

Why are you putting off finding a new place. Moving is the obvious solution. And the two of you were quite correct, it takes a lot more than sex to make a good relationship. However, if you still have feelings for him you must get away from him and cease contact for a while. You should be able to find a place pretty quick, unless you live in a very small town or in the desert.

• Author

He broke up with me because he didn't want to be in a serious relationship.

And I have been looking for a place, but because I and my new roommate work, we can only look at places on the weekends and we just haven't found anything we like yet.

We don't want to cease contact because we started as very close friends and even during our relationship considered ourselves best friends on top of being lovers. We want to remain best friends, but we're also very very attracted to each other. We've talked about being friends with benefits a lot and the idea is appealing, but I just don't want it to ruin our friendship and neither does he.