Would a rhinoplasty improve my appearance?

This is going to sound kind of Michael Jackson like, lol, but I have these weird racial issues. I grew up in a sea of whiteness, and for whatever reason never got any attention from them, never even had a white female friend .... a lot of this is probably my fault, since i was very shy and withdrawn growing up. i had some horrible experiences with childhood racism and as a self-defense mechanism backed out of social interaction with my peer group...looking back i think i missed out on a lot...

But I saw this segment on 60 minutes or something like that once about racial stereotypes and children. They did this experiment where they showed a class of children a picture of an asian man and a picture of a bedouin arab....and the children all saw the asian man as nice and the bedouin arab man as mean. Both were smiling and that kind of tripped me out..

I guess in the post-Obama era, it's weird to be thinking about stuff like this...

But it's just interesting looking back and seeing how "external elements" have an impact on you and how you see yourself if you're not careful or too sensitive or whatever.

Of the members who've responded to this thread, 90%+ are caucasian. The rest I'm either uncertain of, or just plain don't know what skin colour they are. Notice they're not affected by your skin colour or racial characteristics?

Perhaps it's time to move off the negative stereotype. Sure, there are people in this world who are culturally challenged. Best thing to do, is to have no commerce with them. Why allow someone to affect how you view yourself, if that person doesn't have your best interests in mind? If anything, someone like that is only looking to leverage themselves off your self-esteem and self-respect. Frack'em! :bunny:

• Author
lonelysoulja
Of the members who've responded to this thread, 90%+ are caucasian. The rest I'm either uncertain of, or just plain don't know what skin colour they are. Notice they're not affected by your skin colour or racial characteristics?

Perhaps it's time to move off the negative stereotype. Sure, there are people in this world who are culturally challenged. Best thing to do, is to have no commerce with them. Why allow someone to affect how you view yourself, if that person doesn't have your best interests in mind? If anything, someone like that is only looking to leverage themselves off your self-esteem and self-respect. Frack'em! :bunny:

lol, i'm not trying to stereotype anyone. just was relating where some negative thoughts about myself may have originated from (i.e. *my* interpretation of how others viewed me, note NOT necessarily how they actually viewed me) ... maybe there's others that can relate, i dunno.

i'm not down with the skin bleaching. i guess it's just a process of learning to accept yourself.

lol, i'm not trying to stereotype anyone. just was relating where some negative thoughts about myself may have originated from (i.e. *my* interpretation of how others viewed me, note NOT necessarily how they actually viewed me) ... maybe there's others that can relate, i dunno.

i'm not down with the skin bleaching. i guess it's just a process of learning to accept yourself.

If you know this, why does it continue to affect you? Wouldn't your logical mind trump these negative thoughts as just...negative thoughts?

Yes, you do learn to accept yourself but not by looking at your culture in a negative light but by looking at your culture like a rich tapestry, to be savoured like fine wine. One way to learn to appreciate your culture is to start reading up about the history. Folklore and mythology can help to keep it interesting, if dry facts aren't your thing.

I can totally empathize with what you are sharing here in regards to your past. Though I am not a visible minority myself, I can completely understand that what you dealt with as a child can be deeply scarring and it is not as simple as "get over it now you are an adult and stop thinking like that". It's a lot more complicated than that. All the insecurities we have as adults are risidual feeling of experiences we carry from early childhood on to our teen years that were lived via our peer and social interactions. Sure as adults we can comprehend that it is unreasonable to think in those childish terms but that hurting child that we carry inside us does not understand that.

The idea that you grew up in a predominantly white neighbourhood and were made a victim to racism at times, can be quite traumatic I would imagine. I'll tell you this much, most people who want to have something altered in plastic surgery are trying to alter what is left from their past and not so much fix a glaring "wrongness" of the specific feature they wish to change. The body part is a sort of scapegoat for other issues. Once you "fix" your nose you will shift your focus onto something else that is "wrong" with you.

I think you should really consider exploring these unresolved issues with your race before you consider something as big as plastic surgery.

Now on the same token how do you feel your life would change if you did get the operation?

I am not against plastic surgergy, per se, but it is important to really focus on the driving force before making the alteration since you might find once you explore the root, your need for this artificial change might subside.

To the OP, I do not see anything wrong with your nose, but thats me. But if you do get PS, make sure you do your research and make sure the doc is certified with the board of plastic surgeons (think there's a fancier name for it, but I'm getting tired so...). Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do!