Gut Instinct v. Judgement

• Author
No pun intended. :laugh:

Glad to hear that life is so simple for you. Now quit spoiling my thread. It's annoying.

Gut Instinct = "This is how I feel about it."

Judgment = "This is what I'm going to do about it."

That's my take on it.

I always go with my gut feeling when it is negative. If it doesn't feel right, I don't do it. I am very risk-averse.

Judgement will be used when my initial reaction is "Do it! Do it! Do it!". Such a positive gut feeling will then be reviewed by my rational mind in order to determine if I should proceed carefully or if I should not act on my gut feeling at all.

My gut and judgement are so mixed up I barely know which aspect is actually speaking to me.

When it comes to friends- I detect someone right away.

When it comes to men... my radar is completely off.

I don't know if it's my gut speaking to me, or whether I am too jaded to discern what the deal is.

• Author

Is gut the base level of fight or flight, where intuition, as Story brought up, is the "do it, do it", that gets impacted by emotional and intellectual rationalizations?

Is gut the base level of fight or flight, where intuition, as Story brought up, is the "do it, do it", that gets impacted by emotional and intellectual rationalizations?

Rationalizations happen on a gut level as well. Everything's intertwined.

All your gut really tells you is what you've responded to as good or bad in the past, it doesn't necessarily tell you what you "need" in any objective sense.

• Author
Rationalizations happen on a gut level as well. Everything's intertwined.

All your gut really tells you is what you've responded to as good or bad in the past, it doesn't necessarily tell you what you "need" in any objective sense.

I don't agree that rationalizations happen on a gut level. That's when you stop and listen to it. It's going to tell you to either No Go or it will be quiet.

When it's quiet, you then run with whatever you want to call it, be it intuition or emotions/intellectualization. In a situation of a romantic relationship, you pull out your check list and tick off the boxes of needs and if you're lucky, some of your wants, while keeping the attraction going.

I have to say, my gut "don't do it" voice is pretty on the mark.

My intuition is probably even better.

My judgement messes me up the most and I actually trust it the least. I don't take risks based on my judgement most of the time, only on my intuition. My judgement has gotten me in the most trouble by causing me to do things I think I'm supposed to do, rather than what I really want to do.

I actually believe that most of the big things in my life have chosen me, rather than the other way around. This works for me because I am very open to certain influences and closed to others. I'm genuine and WYSIWYG, and that helps to attract what is good for me and repel what is bad. I think I've been extremely fortunate.

• Author
My judgement has gotten me in the most trouble by causing me to do things I think I'm supposed to do, rather than what I really want to do.

I guess that's when you have to decide if what you really want to do, has long-term negative impacts. If it does, listen to your judgement. If it doesn't, especially if the long-term impacts are positive, it's worth going for. That's not to say that this style is a one-size fits all. It's far from a perfect way to live or enjoy life. I guess it's reliant on how major the decision fork.

Every, single time I use short-term thinking for a major decision fork, it always comes back to bite me in the ass. Since I don't have a big ass, I need to preserve some of it.

My gut instinct about bad things has never been wrong. So when my gut tells me something's off/wrong/bad, I really do know that I can trust it. However, I've almost almost argued against it, providing myself with reasons why it could be wrong (because I wanted it to be wrong). I usually end up hurt in the end in these instances.

On the other hand, I don't seem to have a positive gut instinct. I don't have an instinct that says, "This is right. This is real. This is the way to go." When it comes to things like that, I have to rely on my judgment.

I guess that's when you have to decide if what you really want to do, has long-term negative impacts. If it does, listen to your judgement. If it doesn't, especially if the long-term impacts are positive, it's worth going for. That's not to say that this style is a one-size fits all. It's far from a perfect way to live or enjoy life. I guess it's reliant on how major the decision fork.

Every, single time I use short-term thinking for a major decision fork, it always comes back to bite me in the ass. Since I don't have a big ass, I need to preserve some of it.

As an example, I almost went into Journalism because of judgement. I had registered in undergrad as a Journalism major. Other people had talked me into it as a practical application of writing. When I got to freshman orientation to sign up for classes, I had to be honest with myself. It wasn't what I wanted. I changed my major to English Literature. On the day I made this decision, I had no idea how I would ever support myself, but it all worked out and now I have a career in writing.

• Author
My gut instinct about bad things has never been wrong. So when my gut tells me something's off/wrong/bad, I really do know that I can trust it. However, I've almost almost argued against it, providing myself with reasons why it could be wrong (because I wanted it to be wrong). I usually end up hurt in the end in these instances.
This is my experience as well, in that the times I argued or ignored my gut instinct, it's always been to my detriment. No more arguing. What it says...goes!

On the other hand, I don't seem to have a positive gut instinct. I don't have an instinct that says, "This is right. This is real. This is the way to go." When it comes to things like that, I have to rely on my judgment.
I'm not convinced there is a positive gut instinct.

As an example, I almost went into Journalism because of judgement. I had registered in undergrad as a Journalism major. Other people had talked me into it as a practical application of writing. When I got to freshman orientation to sign up for classes, I had to be honest with myself. It wasn't what I wanted. I changed my major to English Literature. On the day I made this decision, I had no idea how I would ever support myself, but it all worked out and now I have a career in writing.

I can't argue with that...except...that you picked the right choice for your temperament and interests.

As far as a more practical decision, yes, journalism would have been it. What can you do with English Lit? Apparently you can write. :)

This is my experience as well, in that the times I argued or ignored my gut instinct, it's always been to my detriment. No more arguing. What it says...goes!

I'm not convinced there is a positive gut instinct.

I can't argue with that...except...that you picked the right choice for your temperament and interests.

As far as a more practical decision, yes, journalism would have been it. What can you do with English Lit? Apparently you can write. :)

Well, not if you look at what is happening to print journalism today...

And, technical writing is actually more lucrative than print journalism, even when it was still a viable medium.

• Author

And, technical writing is actually more lucrative than print journalism, even when it was still a viable medium.

Yes, but who would have made that leap from an English Lit major to a technical writer? You created your own opportunity.

Exactly. I had no idea I would be a tech writer when I chose English Lit. That is why I would call it intuitive, just using who I am as the best indicator of what I should do. Character is destiny.

I have great instincts when it comes to anything BUT romantic entanglements. I think where I go wrong is that I might meet a guy that isn't a bad person... SO I detect that much about him, and go on that. Then I ignore the red flags which are attributed to judgement.

So what I mean is... I meet a guy- and I know he isn't a bad guy... I can detect that much right away. But that doesn't mean that a nice guy isn't "broken".

Everyone has and does both gut instinct and judgement.
  1. Gut instinct: The human self-preservation tool that drives the fight-or-flight response.
  2. Judgement: A combination of intellectual, emotional and sometimes gut instinct response, sometimes negating gut instinct.

If you look at the above definitions, which one would you listen to?

My gut instinct has yet to be wrong. My judgment has been tainted by emotions and intellectual rationalizations.

I've decided to always listen to my gut instinct aka spidey sense.

What's your choice or thoughts on this?

I try to go by my gut instinct because it is never ever wrong. But occasionally I make the mistake of letting my judgment cloud my decisions....usually a bad idea.

I feel like whether it's judgment or gut, it's really based on what we want. When we know we want something, we go after it, regardless of what we are feeling/thinking emotionally/intellectually. Both are very powerful.

If you are feeling something very strongly and listening to your gut, you are going to make the practical, intellectual actions to make it happen. And if you're using your brain to make a decision, that will in turn make you feel more strongly. You have the facts in front of you that look promising, that in turn make you feel safe or encouraged enough to believe.

I have great instincts when it comes to anything BUT romantic entanglements. I think where I go wrong is that I might meet a guy that isn't a bad person... SO I detect that much about him, and go on that. Then I ignore the red flags which are attributed to judgement.

So what I mean is... I meet a guy- and I know he isn't a bad guy... I can detect that much right away. But that doesn't mean that a nice guy isn't "broken".

Ah! Yes! I am the same way. I am always like "he's a good person," thus any negative attributes are somehow overlooked by me, because "well, everyone had faults!"

Whereas certain faults in a person would still make them a great friend, those same faults in a romantic interest would equal Boyfriend Disaster.

Yeah, print journalism isn't exactly a practical choice anymore so you chose well! I too chose journalism initially as a career, but I dropped it and followed my gut -- because journalism always felt like a compromise. I wasn't passionate about it. I'd rather be dead than compromise.

I am/was in print journalism (still freelance here and there). I decided I wanted to be a music journalist at the age of 16 and went for it and through some luck and perseverance, got what I wanted. I was really lucky to work at some great publications during my time. However, once I was in that world, I realized it was pretty uninspiring and the people were uncreative and fake.

Now, I'm self-employed and poor. Gave up the money and fancy parties. No compromises.

What I called positive gut feeling might very well be intuition. I consider intuition to be the overall, subconscious assessment of a situation. When I think of intuition, I think of things that you do without knowing why.

I used positive gut feeling, because there have been times (albeit very, very few) in my life where I actually heard that little voice in my head that screamed "Do it! Do it! Do it!". And those times were accompanied by "good" emotions, not the "dark" ones.

I am not entirely sure that I understand what you mean by emotional and intellectual rationalizations.

Can emotions and intellect influence what we do about our intuitions, meaning can we choose to act on it or ignore that hint/feeling?

Then the answer is yes.

If it is meant as: Can our conscious mind influence how our intuition will look like, can it shape and form it?

Then I would say no.

I my opinion, there are three things:

1. Instinctual action
  2. Negative gut feeling (a warning)
  3. Positive gut feeling (the "Do it! Do it! Do it!") or intuition

Instinctual action is an immediate reaction in response to a concrete/palpable stimuli, to prevent harm. In it's most basic form, this is what surfaces and takes over in life and death situations. Your conscious mind is bypassed.

Although, certain reactions can be "learned/even overwritten" to some degree through (seemingly endless) repetition in training. The subconscious can be encouraged to act in certain ways.

What I call gut feeling, I experience as short bursts of raw, unfiltered, and strong primal emotions. Depending on the situation, it can be anger, fear, anxiety, desire, etc..

They are the first things that come to my mind in certain situations. It is more like being given a broad hint to take action instead of reacting to a clear and present threat. Either to seize an opportunity or to avoid something.

Acting on that impulse is optional though, because you have the luxury of time. Your life doesn't depend on immediate action.

Difficult question.

Personally, I think the dividing line between the two overlaps. Judgement is often shaped by gut instincts and gut instincts are often manipulated in a way to fit more cerebral assessments. I can talk myself into just about anything by using a rationalization process that suits my own ulterior motives so to speak.

Up until recently, I would throw caution to the wind and do whatever I like regardless of my gut instincts or judgement. Not so easily anymore, it's true. Life is simpler now but nowhere near as exciting as it used to be. Which is better, I wonder. For the time being, prudence and caution have offered me peace of mind but a rather boring existence. If things get too subdued, I just might revise and get a little wreckless again.

So which prevails, I guess, has to do with my state of mind at a particulart point in time.

I've been wrong with both my gut instinct and with my judgments, so I don't rely exclusively on either one.

For me, it is dependent on experience. I tend to listen to my gut when I have more experience with something or have seen a specific or similar pattern before. OTOH, I use judgment more often when I have less experience with something and when I have not seen a specific pattern before.

I’ll usually push through my initial gut instincts when it comes to a particular person or situation. I’ve seldom known in an instant whether I like someone or not, or whether I’m in a bad situation or not. If something or someone raises my antennas, I’m more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt and proceed with caution until I’ve had enough time to observe more carefully and come to some conclusion.

Of course, there will always be that rare situation when you accidentally bump into Trouble immediately and those “fight or flight” instincts kick in. (Had a couple of scary run-ins when I had to travel to a particularly bad part of the city ... and one attractive, intelligent but creepy date that I bailed on because he scared the buggers out of me :eek:). But for the most part, I find that people are very likeable on the surface. Oddly enough, I’ve discovered that those I’ve met who were the most outgoing and overly friendly have always had a hidden side to their personalities that wasn’t so obvious at the onset ... while those who were a little more reserved and cautious in the beginning turned out to be some of the most grounded and solid folks I’ve ever met.

I can’t always trust my first impressions or intuitions. Wish I could. :o Which is why I seldom rely on my immediate gut instincts and prefer to base my opinion on careful observation and/or judgement instead ... founded, of course, on my own personal experiences with similar people and situations. However, that doesn’t mean by a long shot that I have an “open mind”. At least not to the point where my brain has fallen out and I’ve lost my good ol’ common sense.