Foreign Accent

I was told the other day that I have a strong accent! My boyfriend is American and he doesn't think I have a strong accent at all.

I have lived in this country for 12 years and I never had anybody having a problem understanding me when I talk.

The person who told me this made also a comment on whether I was dating my boyfriend for a green card or not!

Was this person being honest about my accent or was he just being rude?

HokeyReligions

I wouldn't worry about what someone else says about your accent - we all sound different to each other.

I moved across the country and I never thought I had an accent. (I thought a lot of the people where I moved TO had an accent) anyway, we were talking about accents one time at work and someone jokingly said to me "I got used to your accent"

Moi?! An Accent?! I just moved a few states to the left! :):D:bunny: I've been called "dam# Yankee" quite a few times since I've been in Texas!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't worry about what people think about you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a foreign accent. I am from Kenya and I know how much it hurts when people make those kind of comments. I am a well ready, educated woman yet some people think that I have broken english since I have a different accent from theirs. An accent does not dictate your intelligent, your IQ, personality or anything about you whatsoever! It just means that you speak different from the majority in the country. Girl I woudn't worry about that loser who thinks your are dating your boyfriend for a greencard.