Boyfriend has episodes of depression

pinkroses

I think my boyfriend may be manic depressive. He's told me he gets depressed sometimes, and when he's like that he just wants to be alone, at home, and sometimes he just lays on the bed. He says he doesn't want people to see him that way, and he "spares" them by being by himself. Ordinarily he's very energetic and funny and jovial. But then he'll suddenly change. He can be two different people in the same day.

We've talked about it and I understand that he's not avoiding me when he gets down, etc. but it's still difficult to deal with. I have depression too, but when I get down I reach out to people, I don't hibernate home alone. It's hard for me to understand his behavior. I always tend to feel like he doesn't want me in his life anymore, or that something is wrong (other than the depression) when he gets like this. He comes back to his normal self again each time, but whenever it happens I still find myself worrying that this time will be different. Any suggestions on how to cope? I want to be supportive, but when he's in a funk, there's nothing I can do for him.

i don't see the problem with letting him be on his own when he's in one of those periods.

you reach out, he just needs to be alone - ppl have diff't ways of coping. why not just let him do it? isn't he worth tolerating that time away from him?

-yes