How long before the proposal?

I was just wondering, trying to get an idea of some things by doing a comparison from others' experiences. For those of you who are married, how long did you know/date each other before the proposal?

I've been with the same guy for 4 1/2 years, I don't want to get married right now, I feel that we are too young, and since he was in South Korea for the Army for two of those years, I think we are also a bit inexperienced. I just don't think that if I'm with the same guy for say 10 years, that it's not worth it if he doesn't even have any inclination of tying the knot. One of my sisters is falling into that trap and I sort of agree with her. The hard thing is that she asks me what I think she should do, I can't say either way. Ya know?

Anyway, just let me know how long you knew/dated before the big question... thanks!

I know you're looking for different people's stories and I'm sure they'll be by. But there's no set time for marriage to be discussed. However, I will say that it has more to do with timing than anything else. If two people's time is right and they feel good about each other, they could be engaged in just a few months. If one or both of them haven't reached that time yet when they feel they want to settle down, it isn't going to happen until they get to that point.

This is something you don't want to force but, again, I understand what your sister is going through. If she's ready and they guy isn't, she may want to look for somebody closer to where she is in maturity and readiness for a lifetime partner.