Best friend/potential lover syndrome

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have a dilemma.

Basically, I've been friends with this girl (I'll call her X for argument's sake) for a long time from my old school in another country. We were friends before I left, and, strangely enough, she was the girl I used to unwittingly flirt with (due to my naivety at the time), in front of my girlfriend at the time.

At that time, X felt more like an annoying little sister always following me around and such. Anyway, when I left we still kept in touch, but not too frequently, just over MSN, facebook, etc. In the past year or so, we started talking more often and we got close as friends. I also visited my old school over Christmas and met up with her several times. During these meetings, it felt like she may have been flirting with me, but I may have just been reading too much into it. She can be quite flirtatious.

Anyway, I've always been there for her, she's shared her problems with me sometimes in tears, with family, finances, boyfriend issues, etc. She's even called me her best friend several times and we have a plethora of things in common. Sometimes it seems like we're perfect but for the lack of chemistry. And all the time, I always acted as a friend, even telling her to stay with her boyfriend when she was doubting it'd be better to leave him (who hates me by the way, despite never having met me), who, in my opinion takes her for granted. And I'm not just being biased.

I learned last year that she would be coming to study at a college in my city and I was happy because she'd be a lot closer to me. Things are kinda rocky with her boyfriend because they have a long distance thing. I just feel that if something were to happen with her, it'd be something long-lasting. I'm not sure if I should back off and just be the friend, or see if she wants something more. Like I said, I don't know how she feels about me, but I know I really want something more than friendship out of this and I really think I can be better for her than this guy.