Well, I just scraped my car against a post by accident.

this and the gun thread makes me realize just how great we still got it

U S A! U S A! U S A!

Maybe it is some kind of bureaucratic sadism that's driving the little fellows in the UK to be so anal about it.

• Author

Now I've just done something else really dumb. I just parked a few feet away from the curb on a main road. It basically looked as though it was nearly in the middle of the curb and the split white line in the middle of the road.

It's very hard trying to judge how close you are to the curb.

What I can't understand though is when I got out and saw how wrong it was, why didn't I get straight back in and park somewhere else? Why did I just carry on walking to the shop worrying about it and thinking 'I need to get back quick, I can't really leave it there like that'? :confused:

So it's not so much the parking that makes me feel really dumb, it's the latter part, how I just left it there like that.

So it's not so much the parking that makes me feel really dumb, it's the latter part, how I just left it there like that.

Don't worry about it. You could have left ^this^ post as it was when you submitted it, but you came back once more for an edit to make it even better. Clearly you are learning from your mistakes - congratulations!

Don't worry about it. You could have left ^this^ post as it was when you submitted it' date=' but you came back once more for an edit to make it even better. Clearly you are learning from your mistakes - congratulations![/quote']

I agree completely. Also, it doesn't sound like anything came of it, Ross, other than you feeling silly, which is just part of the human condition. We may as well all get used to making mistakes.

I agree completely. Also, it doesn't sound like anything came of it, Ross, other than you feeling silly, which is just part of the human condition. We may as well all get used to making mistakes.

Agreed!

I've seen some really bad parking jobs.

Just don't go racing for pink slips until you get more comfortable driving.

RecordProducer
I mean, I wouldn't mind if it was something understandable, like a car pulling out at a junction that you didn't see and you crashed into it. Or trying to do a tricky manouvere in a car pak and you just slightly bump someone..
Come on, we've all had our weird bumps. My mom told me once that for a new driver, everything is standing in the way: a tree, a gate, a wall.... :laugh:
  • Author
Come on, we've all had our weird bumps. My mom told me once that for a new driver, everything is standing in the way: a tree, a gate, a wall.... :laugh:

I know everyone makes mistakes when they're first driving, but it just feels like the kind of mistakes I make shouldn't happen. They kind of tell me that I shouldn't be driving and it'll only be a matter of time before something really stupid happens and there's some sort of an accident, with me feeling really embarrassed having to deal with other people and then feeling traumatised for days afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Oh God, more cr@p thinking!

So you don't think it's a good idea to give up driving if you're a danger to the public and yourself?

I guess if I wasn't so scared of dealing with an accident if it's my fault, then it'd be a lot easier to carry on driving.

There are some very simple solutions to something like this. If you're overly anxious, get some hypnotherapy to address the anxiety. It's very effective provided you actually want it to work.

Also, the other option of getting a few refresher lessons so that you have the safeguard of an experienced instructor in a car with dual controls.. Why ignore perfectly reasonable options of dealing with this problem? Nothing anyone here says can inject you with any magical boost of confidence, and the more we pander to your expressions of anxiety the more you'll condition yourself into feeling anxious. You have to do the legwork yourself. So do it.

• Author

Well, for some reason I went to town, thought I might be able to handle it, and boy was I wrong.

I kept getting lost, then some guy behind me in a van started beeping his horn and then screamed something out of his window at me as he drove past, I really don't know what it was that I could've done wrong.

Then when going up a small street there was no room for me to get past the oncoming traffic, so I had to drive onto the pavement which I don't think is right, but I really didn't know what else to do.

I'm feeling like total crap now.

What do you guys think of these situations?

Hey Ross,

It sounds like you are not familiar with the place.

It happens, when you don't know where you are going you drive all clumpsily because you are looking at signs etc and go slowly.

But eventually it'll be second nature.

People are always on a rush, have you noticed?

Here also. I go take my lunch slowly and almost get run over by people.

Just take it easy and be safe and don't take it personally people's insults.

Best of luck with your car. :love:

Ross, All van drivers shout insults at everyone else, it's because deep down they are so disillusioned with their crappy life and job - don't sweat it, lock your door, the roll down your window and give him the finger. ;)

• Author
Hey Ross,

It sounds like you are not familiar with the place.

It happens, when you don't know where you are going you drive all clumpsily because you are looking at signs etc and go slowly.

But eventually it'll be second nature.

People are always on a rush, have you noticed?

Here also. I go take my lunch slowly and almost get run over by people.

Just take it easy and be safe and don't take it personally people's insults.

Best of luck with your car. :love:

Hey Adriane. What do you mean by taking your lunch slowly and almost getting run over by people?

Yeah, I was driving a little clumsily, because I really didn't know what turn I should take, and I'm also trying to look at the signs, it's all kinda distracting.

• Author
Ross, All van drivers shout insults at everyone else, it's because deep down they are so disillusioned with their crappy life and job - don't sweat it, lock your door, the roll down your window and give him the finger. ;)

I know it happens all the time, but it does kinda bother me to think that I've never experienced it happen to anyone else when I've been in their car.

Lol, locking my door and giving him the finger sounds like a good idea, I wonder if he would've just carried on going or if he would've actually have got out and come over to my car?

But to be honest, if I could just meet him I'd really like to just be able to ask what it was I'd done wrong, and then after he told me, as long as he wasn't too much of an ass I'd just say 'Ok I'm sorry about that, I'm new to driving', I'm sure he'd probably appreciate it and say no problem.

It was as though I was holding him up somehow, but if I was surely he wouldn't have been able to get past me?

The Collector

But to be honest, if I could just meet him I'd really like to just be able to ask what it was I'd done wrong, and then after he told me, as long as he wasn't too much of an ass I'd just say 'Ok I'm sorry about that, I'm new to driving', I'm sure he'd probably appreciate it and say no problem.

I had enough people hooting at me when I still had my L plates (including on one test, so I failed) to give up on such optimism. Some people just spend all day honking their horns because they have anger management issues.