Longtime "Friend Category", wants to get out.

Bigfoot

Hey there,

Well, as you can probably figure out, I'm here in need of advice. I'm 20 yrs old, a junior in college and sad to say, have never been on a date. I've never even known of a girl even to be remotely interested.

I can talk to women, but can't get over the nervousness. One problem I seem to have is the fact that I get put into the "friend category" very quickly. People come to me quite often for relationship advice and I am usually able to help them in some way. Yet, when it comes to myself, I can't even get started.

Well, I would like to hear what people think that I could do to start off with. If you need to know more, go ahead and ask...thanks,

Bigfoot.

I thought I was the same as you, except for I am only 16, that women just aren't interested in me. I was wrong, thank the gods ;). But what you need to do is try your very hardest to get over the shyness. I know, it's not as easy as it sounds, trust me, but it will probably be the only way for things to go any better. Just be yourself: You will find someone that will like you for who you are. It may take a while, it may not, but just try to give it time, and try to get over your shyness.

I've had about as much trouble as you have bigfoot. I'm 21 and still no date - yet I have tried to get a few, its just the girls I tried never liked me as more than a friend, when I thought they were interested. Dont let it get you too down - as before long it will all turn around - just work on the shyness, dont worry about it and just go for it.

Right now, my situation has improved from the past - as I'm really interested in this one girl who flirts a lot with me - and she may like me back, but its difficult to say for sure. But I do know that its been great knowing her - even if she only wants me as a friend. Just something about her that just shines in my eyes.

I know some were interested in me in the past, but were too shy or pessimistic to come forward and say so, and at the time I was too naive to notice. I really wasn't interested in them at the time, but had I known they liked me, it might have changed. Oh well - nothing I can change about it, but I've learned from it.

Ask one of your close female friends for a private conversation. Then ask her for her opinion on why you aren't liked by girls - ask her to be fully honest, ask her if you have any hygiene problems, if it's your style, if it's whatever - see if she has some advice for you. Most likely, not only will she have advice, she will also try to hook you up with some friends.

Meanwhile, make sure to eliminate simple things like bad hygiene, un-neat clothing, unfriendliness ... You can be shy and nobody will tell - I'm shy, for e.g., but when I say that to people, they laugh - because I've learned not to show it too much.

good luck,

-yes