Challenge to LoveShackers (ites?): Come up with a good word for adult relationships

Once you're out of high school, 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend' start to sound silly. 'Partner' sounds businesslike. 'Life mate' is only true if she or he is.

Has anyone run across a really good term for 'person with whom you share a romantic relationship, sexual or non-sexual'? If not, shall we make one up? A couple press releases, a radio show or two and hey presto - LS will go down in history ;)

Lessee. Ok, here's one:

"dear companion"

next...?

The one I've heard the most around here is "Significant Other".

I cannot think of any original ones at the moment that are actually good.

Yeah...Sigificant Other is the term I hear the most often.

Certainly a lot less corny then some other ones I've heard...But then again I work at a University. I expect to hear corny/weird things. :D

i like some foreign words for it:

petit(e) ami(e) in French, literally means "little friend", kind of like "special friend"

enamorado(a) in Spanish, literally means "somebody you're in love with"

I also like being called and calling guys in French or Spanish - "cheri(e)", "mi amor", "querido(a)", "nin~a", etc. Something about it being in another language takes away the cheesiness (in my eyes).

-yes

Hmm....ya...my boyfriend is half mexican...ya...mi amor...it's way better than "my very good friend!" Ugh! men!

so I guess answering the question "what is he to you" with "he's mine" just doesn't cut it, eh? :D

I've heard SO/significant other a lot, though one guy my sister dated used to call her "my lady friend" around his granny, which I thought was kind of neat. "my old lady" is definitely a no-no in my book, it sounds too hippie-ish.

quank

HokeyReligions

Hmmm, we used to call each other "steady" as in, "What's my steady doing having a cherry coke with HER?!!" :)

If no declaration of exclusivity was made, then we called each other "date" as in, "My date and I are going to the malt shop, hope my steady doesn't catch us!"

CaterpillarGirl

Hmm...sometimes I'll call him "my fellow." People seem to get that.

Other terms I've heard thrown about -

my dear

my love

my sweetheart

and of, course, the significant other (I've often thought that perhaps upon breaking-up, they might then become the insignificant other).

• Author

LOL, CatGirl

Great suggestions, all! I'm not all that enamoured of 'Significant Other', myself. Sounds too much like a check box on a government form. I'm partial to the imported terms. Wouldn't it be much lovelier if people said 'this is my enamorado' (or 'a') rather than 'this is my Significant Other'? :D

lol - we use 'the bloke', or 'a bloke' for a potential; just because we liked the word and it appears to have no known history or roots, not unlike some of our canidates ;)