I don't want to sound like a complainer, but...

Star Gazer
Wow. I am glad some of you guys aren't my boss.

Maybe she's respond better if she felt like you guys were more of a team?

TBF and SG, jesus. If either of you were my bosses and treated me the way you describe, I would file a complaint right away. If nothing else, it would waste some of your time. I got one of my former bosses demoted this way, so careful. Little compassion goes a long way - being a bully is not likely to get the most out of your staff.

Insubordination? You are making a WAY too big of a deal out of this. What she said was kind of funny. If you only knew how I speak to my current boss...

So you actually have it good.

With all due respect, both of you act very inappropriately in the workplace while simultaneously haphazardly throwing around such terms as "bully" when you're reminded of what is and is not appropriate, and expected, in the workplace. You're both more focused on getting into your bosses' respective pants than doing your job. I probably wouldn't want either one of you as employee (well, maybe Spookie for the right position, as she's brilliant), so I guess it's even. :o

Respect is a two-way street. If a brand spanking new assistant (like redfathom's) who had not yet established a rapport with me tried to talk down to me (even if in a joking manner) and gave me whiny excuses about why she didn't know how to do her job, she'd be reined back in to behave and interact with her bosses in an appropriate manner. It's quite simple. Yes, we are a team. But there's also a reporting heirarchy. I don't work for her.

Ariadne, straight up, you're not the type of employee I would have ever hired.

Overall, I hire go-getters, skilled people who won't bring drama into the workplace but are interested and dedicated to their jobs. I don't take crap during the probationary period and paper everything, during and after.

After someone has passed the probationary period, they understand their role in the company and know how far they can push the boundaries. There's a direct correlation between attitude, ability to do the work, ability to exceed expectations, and my patience level. I don't waste time with people who aren't into the job and expect they're not going to waste my time.

It's why I was stolen from firm to firm. It's also why other firms would try to steal my staff, since they were assets to the firm. Mediocre and lesser, was never good enough.

I agree completely.

JeezLouise
Btw,

I know because I'm kind of like that girl too.

I remember one time Paris Hilton saying, just suck! Whenever they give you something to do, just suck, so they never bother you again.

(The only times I've been "made to work" has been when whatever I was doing truly helped someone else and made him happy and he appreciated it, if I saw I was making a difference, then I'd do it just for him)

Like I would take Paris Hilton's advice on work ethics?

Red, your assistant needs to be documented, reprimanded, and then terminated if she can't (or won't) perform job duties to specs.