Does he like me or just a really good friend?

I am very close friends with a guy who happens to be my ex's friend - that's how we met. We'll call him Tom. I've known him about 2 years now. In september, he admitted his feelings for me. We'd slept together a few times prior, and I told him I didn't want a FWB situation. He said "I know"...i said, "well, we're not together or anything". He said that he wants us to be together..."we have fun together, and obviously [not to me! lol] i like you *a lot*". I didn't say anything in response. Then it got weird. We acted like a couple that night (he had come to visit me at school) and the next morning. Then a couple nights later we had a falling out. He asked me if I was interested in his other friend because he wants to take me out. I said, "no, i like you" and he said "i know, i like you too, but i don't think it's gonna work that way". I told him I didn't want to be associated with him anymore. **My ex, it should be noted, is psycho. Almost got a restraining order. For the next two months I didn't talk to Tom because I was hurt, although he would occasionally text or IM me.

We patched things up around Christmas and became friends again. Fast forward to March of '09. I was at a party with a mutual friend and met a guy who, in my drunken state, i stupidly went home with. Our mutual friend called Tom and Tom called me to find out where i was. He said I shouldn't be doing going home with someone I don't know very well - i ended up dating the guy for a month and a half - and said he was coming to get me. He was pulling out of his driveway to drive an hour to where i was at 3 AM when the guy drove me back to the party. Tom rencently told me that he also had a baseball bat in his car because he thought i might be in a potential rape situation! He joked that it was no big deal, he just wanted to get in my pants :p

What do you LS'ers make of this? He will occasionally remind me of things we did together, like listening to music together while I laid on his chest, or wen we took a road trip to a crappy drive-in diner. I love him, and every guy I date I compare to him...they never measure up.

You'reasian

From what you've described, it sounds like you and Tom hit it off rather well and that he definitely cares about you (seeing that he was trying to protect you from what might have seemed like a date rape).

Well, if you like the guy - get back with him and get it on! :laugh:

....now if you'll hand over the mint tea, everything will be okay.

• Author

We definitely hit it off well. We can talk for hours about the most insignificant things, and we laugh a lot.

The only thing keeping us apart is my ex/his friend. We were out with my friends one night shortly after my ex and I broke up last year. Someone asked him, "why aren't you two dating?" "Because I'm friends with her ex."

In August it will have been a year since we broke up...it was the month after we broke up that Tom and I shared our feelings for each other and he said it "wasn't gonna work", etc...I wonder if, since it's been nearly a year since me and the ex broke up, things have changed? I don't want to bring up our feelings again because things got so awkward last time, but I love this man!! Every guy I date, I compare to Tom and they never measure up.

*pours some mint tea in the LS cafe*