He's always punching me.

Hi. I need a guys advice on one of my 'guy friends'. Female responses are good too.

I have a male friend that I like alot. Only thing is that we can't be together because he's already with someone. He doesn't know that I like him like this. Anyway... he's always giving me 'signs' that I think he may like me a little bit but I don't want to jump to conclusions or anything. There may not even be anything that I can do about it but I just want to know.

Before... he would do little things like 1) come up with excuses to see me, 2) always asking me where I'm going to be, 3) Holding my hand and asking me about my nails, 4) remembering little things that I told him about me ...

....I can go on and on but the biggest thing is some thing that just started this last month....

he's always punching me (playfully & not real hard) like in the hip or leg. He does this ALOT and even though I play along and hit him back... at first I started to blow it off but he does it so much that I am wondering why he does this. I've really never had a guy friend do that to me.

What do you guys think??

Maybe for some reason he's decided to start treating you like "one of the guys". Perhaps he's felt attraction for you before, but as you said he's with someone, and doesn't really want to ruin that, so you are one of the guys now. If he didn't have someone, he might behave differently.

But if it was me I would end up just saying "why are you punching me all the time, I'm not a guy!"

• Author
Maybe for some reason he's decided to start treating you like "one of the guys".

Yea.. I thought about that at first. But I know his friends... and he doesn't treat them like that. I also don't think he'd punch his friends in the hip area (which is like punching me in the butt). And he still does all those other things I listed as well. This is just something new that he started doing.

He knows you like him. He knows you like him more than he likes you. He is enjoying that you put up with that. He is seeing what else you will put up with. He is not in grade school. He isnt hitting other people.

Just you.

GorillaTheater

He's interested in you, feels he can't act on it because of his relationship, is confused, so has defaulted to 4th grade courtship rituals.

The situation may evolve. If he starts to snap your bra strap, you'll know he's made it to the 8th grade.

Eh, GT - you may be right. My daughter was recently slapped by a boy so maybe I am sensitive about it.

I try to always do the PC thing. I try to be christian in my words and actions.

Next time he playfully punches you in the hip....

Please consider kicking him in the groin as hard as you can and then giving him a girlish giggle as he drops.

• Author
he's made it to the 8th grade.

LOL. :lmao::lmao:

If he starts to snap my bra strap... he might see the mean side of me.. I don't like that at all!!

2sure... I wouldn't necessarily say that I put up with it because when he does it... I hit him back. But I think he wants me to hit him back. Also, he might know I like him... but at the same time... I don't call him, he calls me and texts me first. I let him know that I date other people (mainly because he's always asking me about who I am dating).

• Author

Next time he playfully punches you in the hip....

Please consider kicking him in the groin as hard as you can and then giving him a girlish giggle as he drops.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry I had a visual. That would be funny except for the fact that he doesn't hurt me when he does what he does so I wouldn't hurt him.

I'm a guy and if I was treating a girl like this, it would mean that I do have some interest in her.

I think he does have some feelings for you because he's being physical with you (i.e. punching and holding your hands). But because he's in a relationship he's not going to go beyond the playful flirting with you.

The situation may evolve. If he starts to snap your bra strap, you'll know he's made it to the 8th grade.

:lmao::lmao:

I agree with berry, it's the only way he feels that he can be physical with you, since he's got someone.

Citizen Erased
:lmao::lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry I had a visual. That would be funny except for the fact that he doesn't hurt me when he does what he does so I wouldn't hurt him.

Then give him a "playfully & not real hard" kick to the groin. I'm sure he'll find it funny too.

Yea I personally wouldn't like it no matter what the reason behind it. I can't stand being hit or punched by anyone, man or woman, even playfully, I would have told him to cut it the h*ll out a long time ago.

• Author

So you guys think that this is more of a sign of disrespect than affection??

moonbeam125

Hmm...I don't necessarily think it's a sign of disrespect, it really depends on how you are telling him to stop. Like are you firm or just laughing it off? I also think that some guys are really bad at showing affection, so play punching is one way of showing it without saying it.

In my experience, my current situation with a guy is that he play pokes or punches me often. He used to poke and punch really hard (usually my arm or thigh) and I would complain...now when he does it, it's gentle and I poke or punch back...so I'm not really sure if that helps :S

• Author
Hmm...I don't necessarily think it's a sign of disrespect, it really depends on how you are telling him to stop. Like are you firm or just laughing it off? I also think that some guys are really bad at showing affection, so play punching is one way of showing it without saying it.

In my experience, my current situation with a guy is that he play pokes or punches me often. He used to poke and punch really hard (usually my arm or thigh) and I would complain...now when he does it, it's gentle and I poke or punch back...so I'm not really sure if that helps :S

I laugh it off and punch him back. I don't think it's a big deal or a sign of disrespect either since it doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is WHY he does it. Because we're friends or because he likes me more than a friend?? Is kind of what I'm trying to figure out.

Well I still think it's because he has someone and likes you. But I say just ask why he's been so violent lately ;), you know like your kidding around, and see what he says.

How old is this guy? I'm thinking he may be confuses about his feelings for you and this is just a nervous habit that he picked up for whatever reason that could be a sign of affection. Just ask him why he keeps punching you and tell him you don't much care for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I don't know. I've many platonic guy friends who playfully fake-punch me -- and NONE of them have made a move on me, ever. Some have known me for over 10 years.

On the other hand, the handful of guys (yeah, I'm an introvert, sue me) who HAVE expressed interest in me, regardless of whether or not I ended up going out with them... did no such thing.

So IMO when a guy does the fake-punching thing he really does see you as 'one of the guys' and nothing else. It really depends on the circumstances though.

• Author

So IMO when a guy does the fake-punching thing he really does see you as 'one of the guys' and nothing else. It really depends on the circumstances though.

Ok I can entertain the idea of him thinking we are buddies cause we are. However, if this were like a hit on the arm or something... then I could see. He punches me on my butt cheek when I'm not paying attention. I find it hard to believe a guy would punch one of the guys in his azz.

I find it hard to believe a guy would punch one of the guys in his azz.

:lmao: Chandler's boss comes to mind! For most guys, that would be so wrong!

funwithpaint
He's interested in you, feels he can't act on it because of his relationship, is confused, so has defaulted to 4th grade courtship rituals.

I've seen it the other way around. My friends sister has a crush on me (confirmed) but she knows that nothing will ever happen cause by way of gentlemens agreement sisters are strictly off limits in our circle of friends. So what she started doing after she found out that i knew she had a crush on me was exactly what was happening to you. I think the reason she did this is that she knew that it would get a response out of me (i usually chased her through the house then tackled her although one time i did duct tape her to the wall)

IMO hes putting out the feelers and trying to get a read on you and letting you know he is moderately interested but hes doing it in away that gives him deniability if his gf ever catches on.

Then give him a "playfully & not real hard" kick to the groin. I'm sure he'll find it funny too.

The girl mentioned above has give me "playful & not real hard wedgies" :eek:

GorillaTheater
although one time i did duct tape her to the wall

:lmao:

I've been meaning to do that to one or more of the kids.

funwithpaint
:lmao:

I've been meaning to do that to one or more of the kids.

Make sure they are pretty light and that you do it on a surface that will not get hurt by the duct tape being removed *DONT DO IT ON DRYWALL*

The girl I did it to weighs i'd say about 100 lbs and that took about 2 1/2 rolls.

Trialbyfire

Watch for this teller. If he starts to chase you around with a live insect dangling between this fingers, he really, really likes you!

• Author
Watch for this teller. If he starts to chase you around with a live insect dangling between this fingers, he really, really likes you!

LOL. The weird thing is that I can SOOO see him doing that. :bunny::bunny::bunny: This guy is 35 years old and acts like he's 12. LOL. :eek: