First time "friends with benefits"

I've never had a friend with benefits situation. I have been out of a 7 year relationship for about a year and decided that I would like the company of man with no strings attached because I am not quite ready for any commitment.

About 10 months ago I met a man, initial intentions were ofcourse more than a friendship interest because he let me know from the beginning that he was not looking for a commitment. Within time we became very good friends and I started releazing that I was gaining feelings for him. It was a bit obvious that he had interest in me but that he still wasn't up for a commitment. I let things go as is, he became one of the few men I let my wall down for and opened up with. I gained a lot of trust for him and felt a deep connection. We both enjoy spending time together and I found myself able to control my emotions and come to the reality that if I cannot handle just being his friend, then I need to let go. I decided that I'd be able to be just his friend without hesitation because I don't want to lose his friendship after the time we built it together.

I went over to his house recently, he intiated sex and we had amazing sex. He wanted me to stay the night but I couldn't so we cuddled and chatted for a little then he walked me out to my car. The following night (last night) he invited me over, we had some fun most pleasure focusing on him then cuddled and fell asleep together. He woke me up because he had to leave soon and wanted to share breakfast with me, he had a nice plate waiting for me, I was truly flattered. He has been such a gentleman and treats me like a girlfriend when we are together, so I find myself having to put my emotions back in check because I don't want to obsses myself on something that will not happen. When I think of friends with benefits, I never imagined the man treating the "friend" in such a way ..unless I'm seeing things wrongs, so I find myself wondering if he does have feelings for me. He sent me a text mssg later in the morning saying "hope you enjoyed my cooking this morning" and I replied "i def. did..it was nice, thank you. I hope you enjoyed your night" his answer was a simple "Yup, talk to you later". Which I feel puts me right back in the "friends mode" when we are not together in a sexual way.

He has also been suggesting on attending my birthday party this weekend at a lounge in town, you have to be on a guest list so he asked if he was on it. I said not at the moment because I didn't know if you were coming. He stated he would come with his cousin, who I know as well. I am not really interested in him being there, because he is simply my friend with a benefit I'm not really ready to introduce him to all my friends. He has asked to come out and meet my family before too, and I turned it down. I am very confused by his actions..sometimes I really don't know what to think.

I'm unsure on how to act, I'm backing off and letting him call or text me when he wants to because I don't want to overdue it.

Any thoughts, opinions, and suggestions since I am new to this are greatly appreciated. Thanks!