But he's my brother-in-law...

If your marriage is dead, fine. Get a divorce. Make sure the courts order his wages garnished so you get child support before he can gamble the money away.

That still does not address your desire to drop a ticking time bomb into your kids' lives in the form of an affair with their uncle. As I said, they need at least one parent who is thinking about what is best for them, who can provide emotional stability, and who puts them first. You need to be that parent and avoid your BIL, unless you want to screw your kids up in a way they won't recover from easily.

You are gambling with your kids' mental and emotional health by getting in deeper with their uncle. Do not for a minute think that you won't lose. The odds are stacked heavily against you.

whichwayisup

Getting involved with your BIL is NOT going to help you at all. Put your kids first and let them have a normal "uncle". It will confuse, let alone mess your kids up if you allow 'it' to happen with BIL.

I also agree this will make your divorce just awful and your kids do NOT need to go through that turmoil. It's going to be hard on them anyway, why make it worse by having an affair with their uncle?

SoulSearch_CO

I realize you're probably lonely for companionship given what you've dealt with, but I'd strongly recommend you stop hanging out with him. Go find someone else to hang out with to fill your time. ANYBODY else. The longer you hang out with him, the easier it'll be to justify it in your mind.