Desperately lost, what does he want?

calidreaming28

This is going to be a bit long, so any advice will be much appreciated!

I started seeing this guy a few months ago. We started off wanting a friends with benefits relationship, as we both didn't want a serious relationship. He was out of a long term relationship that did not end well, and I have a lot of intimacy issues. I never asked him what he was doing and I respected that we weren't a couple. However, he started pursuing a girl that I knew and she told me about it. I cut off contact with him and he never pursued her. He was in a depression, he wasn't eating or sleeping and he didn't have contact with anyone while I wasn't speaking to him. He apologized to me and cried and said that it was the dumbest thing that he could have done. He said that I meant more to him than any other woman could and that he has had the most respect for me. I reluctantly let him back in again.

The second time around, things were more serious. He met my family, and I met his. I haven't met his parents but I have met his siblings. His siblings really liked me and they like to have me around. He recently told me that he's reluctant to introuduce a girl to his parents because he knows his mother won't approve of anyone he brings home. We started spending a lot of time together and we became inseperable. However, there has never been any talk of getting into a real relationship. We were hooking up but we never had sex, and then gradually the hooking up stopped. We still kiss hello and goodbye but it never goes farther than that. He said that if he has sex within the first couple months of seeing someone he loses interest. There is a lot of sexual tension between us and we are always touching each other and making comments. He talks about the future and includes me in it, and even talks about me being his wife. Everything was great until I found out that I have some health problems. He was there for me when I first got the news but when I started having a lot of doctor appointments he started pulling away. When I told him how much this hurt me he apologized and said that he is going to be there for me and he wants me to let him be there (he knows all about my trust issues). He also asked me not to push him away. Since then, we started making plans to see eachother but he doesn't always follow through with them. But then when we are together we are so happy that I don't understand. What is going on here? What should I do?