What Floats Your Boat and Other Career Choices???

Since I was just "called back to work" (yeah, like 5 minutes ago)........I was wondering if anyone would like to share what they do for a living (student, homemaker, employee) and how they feel about it???

I work on a shipyard at a Naval base. I'm in charge of any 'liquid' which comes off of the ship onto the pier. On the particular carrier I work on.....we get about 100,000 gallons a day of spilled fuel, contaminated storage tanks, chilled water, potable water and yes, sewage PER DAY when she is in port. Some liquids we can send to the treatment plant for re-entry into the basin....others have to be off based by trucks and disposed of as HazMat material. I make that decision after doing the needed testing.

They can dump at sea IF all their pumps are working. Many times....they don't. In this case, the USS Kennedy has come in for an emergency flooding situation. Forget what I wrote for Thanksgiving plans....we don't GET holidays off if the ship is in port.

I am one of the few woman in a sea (no pun intended) of men.....and absolutely love my job and the people I work with and for. The pay is good.....with the perk being all the cold beer and hot sailors a woman could want. HAHA!

.........hey...I admitted I was NOSEY early on.......

I think most people on here are already aware of what I do, but I will tell you so you will know!! :D

Right now I am a nursing student. I have already completed my first year and have 3 semesters to go. It's really hard work and I can't guarantee I will be sane when I finish, but I love it. The nursing program at my college is really a whole seperate school in itself. I mean, nursing students (unless they take other classes along with nursing classes) just stay in the nursing building and don't really associate with other students at the college. So we're like one big family. The instructors have a really good teacher-student relationship with all the students and we really get to know each other on a personal basis and I think that's important.

We spend 3 days a week in lecture and 1 full day a week in various clinical rotations (at the hospital or other health care setting) practicing our skills.

I will never forget one clinical I went to last year. I went to the Labor and Delivery Unit at the hospital. When I first got there I was assigned a laboring patient and she was only about 1cm dialated. I spent the whole day with her and the nurse that was with her. I was with her through the whole labor, the epidural and in the end - the delivery. It was the most amazing thing. It was the first time I had seen a llive birth and it was so incredible. I really had a profound effect on me and I KNEW after that I was going into the right field. It was so great. :D

• Author

You know what Jamie....I've watched those on tv....like the learning channel....and I would also think it AMAZING to not only participate but be an intregal part of.......

My hat is off to you. What an amazing career you've chosen!!! It has so many possibilites....and so many rewards!

If I had to do my life over....I think I would have seriously considered the medical field.

HI! I am work for a large chemical company. There is alot going on now with new homeland security measures and chemicals as Im sure you are aware of. I also deal with hazardous and organic waste. It is scarry that alot of this stuff gets dumped in the ocean along with the sewage and no telling what else.

We are destroying the earth as fast as we can. It seems to me that they could find some other way to deal with it!

You would think that there would be some way of recycling it.

We pump stuff into the ocean, we burry it in the ground, we pollute the air and destroy the forrest.

Its really sad. Have a good time at work!