wedding dress poll

Lauriebell82

I do encourage you to try on something even more fitted than the A-line. Not mermaid but something more tapered than A-line, with a longer train.

she's not Mortitia Adams TBF :rolleyes::laugh:

I did not cry when I found my wedding dress. Out of the 10 I tried on it was the only one that looked right on my body. I felt good in it so I knew it was the one.

I got it at DB, and yes, I can tell that some of the detailing looks cheap (and I notice it because it's my dress) but it still looks really good as a whole and it is going to look good in the pictures. Plus I didn't have a $3k dress budget.

I liked the one that was your favorite in your album. It looked the best on you and I think you looked happier in that one.

At the end of the day LB, the moment you try on the right dress you will just know. No doubt, no if's, but's, maybe's. This is the one :bunny:

A number of the dresses linked are the wrong type for your body, since they're for taller women with different body shapes, shapes that have been photoshopped.

One way to test this out, is to calculate height to width ratios. Do this with your own pictures. Then, if you can photoshop, adjust the women in the pictures, to your ratios. I can't do this since I'm chop retarded but one thing they love to do with advertising models is to narrow in the waist and also, to lengthen their legs. For leg length, just take a ratio of their and your shoulder to waist v. waist to ground. After you've done that, chop off the extra length of the dress to coincide with your lower body and leg length and you'll get an idea of how a "shorter" dress will look.

Stay away from any kind of tiering on the skirt, due to your height. You want to give the impression of height, which is why wider skirts don't work with you. Wider skirts draw the eye outwards.

One way to test this out, is to calculate height to width ratios. Do this with your own pictures. Then, if you can photoshop, adjust the women in the pictures, to your ratios. I can't do this since I'm chop retarded but one thing they love to do with advertising models is to narrow in the waist and also, to lengthen their legs. For leg length, just take a ratio of their and your shoulder to waist v. waist to ground. After you've done that, chop off the extra length of the dress to coincide with your lower body and leg length and you'll get an idea of how a "shorter" dress will look.

Been out celebrating with my H and just don't get this right now. Too complicated........

Stay away from any kind of tiering on the skirt, due to your height. You want to give the impression of height, which is why wider skirts don't work with you. Wider skirts draw the eye outwards.

But at 5' totally get this. A fitted bodice to emphasise your shape is good but a tiered skirt is just a disaster when you're petite.

Can someone answer me this question about wedding dress shopping?

WHY do they have you stand on a pedestal? It's not like you're going to be THAT tall on your wedding day! I think it throws the perception way off.

For example, on LB...those dresses will be a lot thinner at the bottom because about a foot of material will have been hacked off!

Don't they do it so

1. Petite people don't trip on the hems

2. they can pin up the hems

All stock wedding dresses have really long hems so people of all heights can try them on.

Maybe its also part of the "princess bride" psychology they have in bridal shops so you feel special and are more likely to buy a dress.

I prefer champagne myself! :D

Rollercoasterr

I kept falling off the pedestal because I couldn't see my feet. But I'm a very, very clumsy person so that would have happened if I had been wearing jeans, too. Can't think of why I'd be up on a pedestal wearing blue jeans, but anyway...

• Author
I kept falling off the pedestal because I couldn't see my feet. But I'm a very, very clumsy person so that would have happened if I had been wearing jeans, too. Can't think of why I'd be up on a pedestal wearing blue jeans, but anyway...

LOL, I tried on these high heels with this one dress and fell off the pedestal!!!

I think they do it mostly so you can see the entire skirt and it makes it easier for them to hem. I usually always get off the pedestal though to see how the dress "really looks."

Can someone answer me this question about wedding dress shopping?

WHY do they have you stand on a pedestal? It's not like you're going to be THAT tall on your wedding day! I think it throws the perception way off.

For example, on LB...those dresses will be a lot thinner at the bottom because about a foot of material will have been hacked off!

They does this for guys when suits are getting hemmed. It helps the tailor see and mark the spots. It helps the tailor/seamstress not having to bend down to far, fall, or otherwise make a mistake poking someone (you) with a needle.

• Author
Welcome to the real world :lmao:....

LOL!!!

Well, get ready LS fashion consultants. Pics will be up today, I am so excited to look at dresses!!!!! :D

Take 5 guys...

They does this for guys when suits are getting hemmed. It helps the tailor see and mark the spots. It helps the tailor/seamstress not having to bend down to far, fall, or otherwise make a mistake poking someone (you) with a needle.

I get it for hemming, but why when merely trying on the dress?? Like LB said, she gets off the pedestal to see how the dress really looks. So my question is why get on it to begin with, when simply seeing how a dress looks on you?

I hope LB's new set of pictures are standing on the ground... :)

• Author
I get it for hemming, but why when merely trying on the dress?? Like LB said, she gets off the pedestal to see how the dress really looks. So my question is why get on it to begin with, when simply seeing how a dress looks on you?

I hope LB's new set of pictures are standing on the ground... :)

I think it's so you can see the whole skirt and the bottom of the dress. Especially for someone short like me.

I can take them on the ground but then you guys won't be able to see the whole skirt because the dress will be WWAAAYYY too long on me. It's too long on the pedestal as it is...

I also like this one. LB- its your wedding gown after all! I do think that you should maybe try a few other styles on just to make sure you aren't missing something that could be potentially gorgeous on you.

All those models in the pics that I posted aren't that tall..

I am coming into this thread late but this dress is goregous.

I wish I could get married again just to go dress shopping again I loved it!.

Also I am big chested and I had my strapless wedding dress altered to fit my bust with added velcro attachment so the corset would be fixed to the dress. I never had to pull it up not once. and I had my dress on from 5pm-2am.

LOL!!!

Well, get ready LS fashion consultants. Pics will be up today,

i look forward to it with much glee

• Author
I am coming into this thread late but this dress is goregous.

I wish I could get married again just to go dress shopping again I loved it!.

Also I am big chested and I had my strapless wedding dress altered to fit my bust with added velcro attachment so the corset would be fixed to the dress. I never had to pull it up not once. and I had my dress on from 5pm-2am.

I don't like the ribbon on that dress...

Plus I like a little bit wider skirt. I plan on trying several different styles on though to see what they are like on me. I think I lost more weight in like a freaking week!!!

i look forward to it with much glee

Oh I know Alpha, isn't it exciting??? :D

Oh I know Alpha, isn't it exciting??? :D

its hard for me to keep my knickers on waiting for the next batch

• Author
its hard for me to keep my knickers on waiting for the next batch

LOL, since you need to underwear shop I'd advise leaving those knickers on...;)

I may try this one on..I am looking for strapless but this may look very pretty on me too. I love the train!!!

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=9d99d913-4212-48e3-b5f8-04bcb3816ef7&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=3

I don't like the ribbon on that dress...

Plus I like a little bit wider skirt. I plan on trying several different styles on though to see what they are like on me. I think I lost more weight in like a freaking week!!!

:D

congrats on the weight loss. I lost 40 lbs before my wedding and it made a huge difference I felt so much more confident.

try on everything. take tons of pictures. I tried on every style I could nad it turned out the dress I got was not at all like the one I had in mind from the start.

I went to 5 stores and tried on well over 50 dresses. The one I feel in love at was in a higher end small wedding boutique but it was too pricey. I was so upset.

A month later. The shop announced it was going out of business and since the dress fit me off the rack. I bought it at a $400 discount. when you find your dress you'll know it.

• Author
congrats on the weight loss. I lost 40 lbs before my wedding and it made a huge difference I felt so much more confident.

try on everything. take tons of pictures. I tried on every style I could nad it turned out the dress I got was not at all like the one I had in mind from the start.

I went to 5 stores and tried on well over 50 dresses. The one I feel in love at was in a higher end small wedding boutique but it was too pricey. I was so upset.

A month later. The shop announced it was going out of business and since the dress fit me off the rack. I bought it at a $400 discount. when you find your dress you'll know it.

Thanks!!! I was deadset on a ballgown when I had bigger hips because I figured the dress would be able to hide them. I barely have any hips now though, so I can wear more form flattering dresses!!! It's exciting!!! I need to stop losing weight though so I can fit in the dress!

Rollercoasterr

LB, I think that dress is very pretty. It's beautiful and has that princess feel without going too overboard. I think it'll look lovely on you. :love:

I think it's so you can see the whole skirt and the bottom of the dress. Especially for someone short like me.

I can take them on the ground but then you guys won't be able to see the whole skirt because the dress will be WWAAAYYY too long on me. It's too long on the pedestal as it is...

Then take them both on the ground and the pedestal. We can't judge how flattering (or not) a dress is on you when it's significantly elongated on the pedestal. Ya know?