'Pain beats regret ANY DAY!!' - true or not?

conehead

This statement was from the movie Ghosts of Girlfriend's past. Now I'm not a huge fan of these types of movies normally, but this statement really hit it home for me. Basically, the guy Matthew who said this is saying that he'd rather get hurt in the end then regret not going for it. Because to him, while pain hurts, regret hurt way more and eats away at you!

Agree or disagree?

Honestly, I think being hurt, or having regret, are equally as painful, but in different ways. There are things I regret from way long past. However, I have had hurt in the past, and it stayed in the past. Personally, I don't like knowing what would have been. I would have rather run the course, and if it ends badly, then it ends badly. At least I know... it's just me though.

-Template

• Author
Honestly, I think being hurt, or having regret, are equally as painful, but in different ways. There are things I regret from way long past. However, I have had hurt in the past, and it stayed in the past. Personally, I don't like knowing what would have been. I would have rather run the course, and if it ends badly, then it ends badly. At least I know... it's just me though.

-Template

I know what you mean. For me, pain always eventually fades, but regret takes longer to get over.

I want to live to the fullest. Regret is a crappy and non productive feeling for me. Pain means I have lived and hopefully learned. I will take that over regret any day.

LucreziaBorgia

Pain has taught me valuable lessons. Regret has done nothing but harbor false hope and wishful thinking.

That is especially true of the last guy I was with. We nearly didn't hook up. I'm glad we did though, because I had the hots for him BIG time. It did not take long for me to see his true colors though. He was an emotionless void, and he tore me apart inside. Now I won't spend my days pondering over a fantasy 'what if' - I had the real deal and it was horrible. I learned some lessons with this one that will carry me until I decide to be with someone again.

Pain has been the most valuable lesson.Period.

I kind of miss that pain because it taught me so much and made me see things for what they were........

I wish you all lots of pain and happyness :p

Pain has taught me valuable lessons. Regret has done nothing but harbor false hope and wishful thinking.

That is especially true of the last guy I was with. We nearly didn't hook up. I'm glad we did though, because I had the hots for him BIG time. It did not take long for me to see his true colors though. He was an emotionless void, and he tore me apart inside. Now I won't spend my days pondering over a fantasy 'what if' - I had the real deal and it was horrible. I learned some lessons with this one that will carry me until I decide to be with someone again.

hehe... I went through the same thing with a woman... All that I did (and I did a lot), and it failed. But at least the "what if" is gone. It's easier to move forward in life when that's not there anymore.

I'd rather take the pain. It's kinda like the line "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."

I've had that happen- a guy who made me wonder "what if?", for a couple years. We finally dated, and it went pretty horrible. But the pains been healing, and it's far better than the regret I had before, when I kept thinking "what if?"

Life's too short.

My fave motto in life, no regrets. If you want to live life with no regrets, don't look backwards. Keep your eyes looking at the now or forwards.

You have to weigh not just pain v. regret, you also have to look at the individuals involved. Sometimes, people are just NOT compatible and that's okay too.

I know what you mean. For me, pain always eventually fades, but regret takes longer to get over.

Could that be because with regret you also have guilt? Perhaps you not only hurt yourself, but someone else as well? With regret, its YOU who messed up. When you hurt because of things you have/had no control of, it can be releiving to keep in mind that it wasn't your fault.

I think they can overlap, but its rare to have regret without pain. Pain without regret is possible.

My fave motto in life, no regrets. If you want to live life with no regrets, don't look backwards. Keep your eyes looking at the now or forwards.

You have to weigh not just pain v. regret, you also have to look at the individuals involved. Sometimes, people are just NOT compatible and that's okay too.

Yes, my motto has also always been no regrets. That means that once I make a decision - be it to act or walk away- I stick to it and accept its consequences.

So basically, no regret can sometimes mean avoiding unnecessary pain.

I've also been hurt plenty of time and am glad for what I have learned from it.