10 months of a glorified friendship

ppge4

I was with this guy for 9+ months. Let me preface this by saying it was a bizarre way of approaching a relationship, but whatever.

It was the physical attraction that kept us together at first. Then we hit a roadblock and split up briefly, but both of us felt like there was something there under that physical attraction. This time around we focused on building up our friendship. We were together ALL the time, went on dates, even slept in each other's arms every night.....and truly did form an great bond.

Unfortunately we were not able to make the jump from friendship to couple - despite the fact that we hung out more than many couples do. I grew up with brothers so having close guy friends is important to me, and as much as I wish I could just be happy to have such a great friend that I could share everything with and be with all the time, that part of me hoping to be his 'one-and-only' couldn't stand it.

So I ended it today (I'm writing this stupid thing about to break down in tears). By ending it I mean I said we can't talk, ever. We both acknowledged that the 'love' component (the kind of love I wanted) wasn't there. He said that he understood why I was doing this, but he tried so hard to convince me not to cut us off completely because we have become so involved in each other's life.

But I just HAD to. And in the phone conversation (I couldn't bear to see him), I got super mad. I think I said some things that I didn't mean because I was hurt - like indicating our entire relationship never really meant much of anything.

But that's not true. It meant a lot. I just feel conflicted, because the truth is that part of me was always hoping for more and he wasn't able to offer that.

I want him to know that what we had DID mean something, but at the same time I don't think it's good for me to talk to him.

Any advice?

Edited by ppge4
  • Author

ps - i just wrote him an email but didn't send it. made me feel a little better, and I wish he knew all this, but i feel like I'm still feeling too hurt to deal with a response right now

i feel that you have every right to be upset and a little angry about the situation and it might take a while to get over it. You should eventually tell him that you said some things you didnt mean while you were angry and tell him that your friendship did mean something to u but you should wait until you are over the situation fully and not still upset about it or else you telling him how you really feel can start a conversation between you two and you might start feeling upset and angry again and it might make the situation worse.

Some friendships get too close and hurt because you always want more. I learned there are certain people I just can't hang out with very often, as much as we both enjoy it.