Is it wrong to blog about an ex lover/friend?

Okay, so last month I finally got the closure. I went to the guy's house and I apologized for hurting his feelings. We talked for two hours walking around his neighbourhood. Anyway, it was a strange conversation part of it he seemed content, next he became angry at the end of the conversation. He became extremely rude and he says he's still "angry" at me. I have to accept honest told me to move on with my life.

So I wrote a blog entry about it in September about that experience.

Well the other day I received an e-mail from him he's upset that I wrote about him on my blog. He claims my blog can "hurt his reputation".

However, he never complained about my blog before? He also ordered me to "never write about me again" on the blog. I don't write about him much on my blog. I will try not to write about him. Although I feel my blog is my blog and I feel I have the right to write about my experiences on my blog. I thought it was good and cathartic to write about my true feelings on the blog.

I have not called, faxed, e-mailed, or telephoned him, since he told me to move on in September. I just feel if he doesn't like my blog then he should not read it.

Edited by Jordanjames

who are you people? :laugh: hurt his reputation? ordered you? he sounds like a real jerk but then, why are you writing about someone in a public place for people who know you and therefore could possibly know him? don't not write about him because he told you to, don't do it because it hurts his feelings! and yeah, i do think that's kinda ****ed up. you had a private conversation with him, in which he probably revealed aspects of himself that are sensitive, and then you went and told everybody about it? i mean, a site like this, things are anonymous, and you can talk about issues with people without anyone knowing who you or the people youre talking about are.. but a blog is read by people that know you, and could potentially know him! i think you're being hurtful by doing this. i actually have some more choice words than "being hurtful", but ill refrain. :p

Like any other text, available for public consumption, you have to bear in mind, libel laws.

If you write something about someone, that clearly identifies them and isn't true, you're open to a libel suit. If you include a confidential quote from someone, without their express permission to release it for public consumption, you also leave yourself open to civil suit.

Please stop and think about how you would feel if your deepest, innermost

feelings and desires were publicly announced.

Imagine if you wrote a heartfelt, personal letter to someone,pouring out your fears and vulnerabilities.

Imagine seeing it on the internet two days later. How would you feel if a friend or lover betrayed your confidence???

Although I feel my blog is my blog and I feel I have the right to write about my experiences on my blog.

Yes, your blog is your blog and, yes, you get to write about your experiences. So...it really all depends on how you wrote your entry.

1. "I met my ex the other day, and learned that I HAVE to move on. I felt...a mixture of relief and anxiety. I'm going to <blah blah>. I'm struggling with the fact that he's dating again."

--OR--

2. "I met my ex, John Doe, the other day. He said <blah blah>. He told me to <whatever>. He is dating someone else. It's got to be a rebound. I think her name is Jane Smith. (She's a cow, btw!) He is such a <this and that>. He sucks the big one!"

If you really do write about your own experiences, it can't hurt anybody else's reputation. If you vent your opinions about others...that's not really you writing about your experiences. TBF also makes excellent points about libel and civil suits.

• Author

The thing is I have written about him before criticizing him on my blog and he never complained. So why is he complaining now? I wrote a blog entry after my ex and I broke up. I basically said he is an insensitive jerk and I pointed out some examples that's it. I wrote about him once last month and I have not written about him since. I felt like the blog entry I wrote last month was cathartic for me and important for me to write. If he doesn't want to know what I'm saying he should not read my blog. I certainly never told him to read my blog.

So why is he complaining now?

um, you guys had a falling out, right? does it matter? why do you think anyone's gonna say, "yah, go ahead, say whatever you want about this person even though they asked you not to."??? this is a hurtful thing that you are doing, and it is hurting him!

• Author

My blog entry was up on my blog for an entire month and he ``suddenly`` complains about it. I have written blog entries about him before that were critical and he knows this. He never ever complained to me before ever until earlier this week.

He has hurt me as well and that`s what my blog entry was about. Am I not allowed to ``talk`` about what really happened on my own blog. People write about their relationship experiences on their blog every single day. He really hurt me last month and I wrote about it. I think he`s just upset that I wrote the truth.

I think he`s just upset that I wrote the truth.

god you're dense! you asked, we answered. if you're just gonna keep doing it anyway well then ****, just know this isn't about you..

Jordanjames, Isn't it ironic that someone who calls himself PEACEFULguy is hurling insults at you?

ive thought about that myself, its kind of funny.. but it isnt passive guy, or perfect guy.. its peaceful guy, which i am.

er, also, i wasn't really "hurling insults".. saying stuff like "god you're dense" is supposed to convey slight frustration, but with a friendly tone.. i think if you knew where i was coming from.. well, whatever.

• Author

Hi Syke Blue thank you for your excellent answer. You are right I can use codes and not use his name but still write about my experiences. I definitely was very hurt last month. I am a writer and I feel I have to write my experiences out on paper on the internet. You are correct I should respect his privacy even though he is an insensitive jerk. Thanks Syke Blue for your kind words.