I'm really confused.

Confused-about-love

Confused-about-love

O-kay, there is this 18 year old at my school, and I've liked him for almost a year. Actually, it will be a year Jan. 1.

See, we met at a new year's party that I went to. We started talking and he asked me if I knew his brothers and if they were or have ever been mean to me. I told him that they weren't because we don't exactly talk. But he told me "If they are ever mean to you, tell me and I will put them in their spot real fast because we were brougt up with manners and you are a very beautiful girl and you deserve to be treated better." And then he told me that like 3 more times that night.

Well, here like 2 or 3 weeks back, I wrote him a letter and told him exactly how I felt about him, and it included a poem that I wrote. Then I called him that weekend and asked him what he thought of it, and he said "well, it was sad and it made me feel bad. But listen, it's not because of your height or looks, because you are a very beautiful girl. But it would just be against the law if I dated you right now." So, how do I find out if he's just saying this because he really means it, or if he is just joking around? What would be the best way to find out? Go up and ask him, or just wait it out...?

i would say at your age, he's probably being quite serious.

At 18, there are certain expectations that can arise when a relationship becomes serious, ie. sex... and im sure he doesnt want to put that pressure on you.

4 years is a huge gap when you're 14 and 18

....But it would just be against the law if I dated you right now." ...

I strongly suspect this has everything to do with whatever the statutory rape laws are in Kentucky

He sounds like a pretty level-headed guy because it would, in fact, be illegal for him to date you...unless he didn't touch you at all. For an 18 year old just to kiss a minor child under the age of 16 is a misdemeanor (contributing the the delinquency of a minor...or worse). If he ended up having sex with you, that would be a felony and he could get a nice, long prison sentence...even for his first offense. Have respect for the fact that he's looking out for the both of you. Until you're 16 or even older, set your sights on guys closer to your age.