Would you date a guy who owned a Puli? (type of dog)

I agree with your opinion. All of it...on this subject at least. :D

Isn't friendship wonderful? I think you're lovely, and we can disagree on many things without letting it affect that!

As for ear cutting and tail docking and as an owner of a boxer, I wholeheartedly agree. I had a boxer that was from champion showdogs. She had great lineage. At that time I felt I should do the ear cropping. I know that here in the US they say that the dog doesn't experience pain, but when I look at the pictures of her during that time with her ears taped and an Elizabethan "crown" (neckpiece to keep her from getting at her ears), she looked at the best incredibly uncomfortable.

Well, I always reply with this:

"Ok, if you think it's painless, we'll do it to a three-week old human baby and see what happens, shall we?

We'll cut off the ears, and a little finger, and then stand back and watch the reaction. Or better still, find me a pair of scissors, and I'll do it to you. How's that?"

If you watch dogs interacting, the parts that move, quite noticeably, are the tails and the ears....

These are the main basic moveable signals that indicate to another dog, how that dog is feeling. Ears and tails are means of communication.

tails are also useful rudders and provide leverage and balance for dogs running and racing...

It took many years of hard lobbying and convincing, but finally, it was all made illegal.

I would urge any person intent on buying a puppy, to request that part of the condition of buying a puppy, is to guarantee the ears and tail will be intact.

my next aim, personally, is to get these horrendous prong collars banned in the USA. Again, they're illegal here in the UK.

Simply?

They don't work.

So choose a dog after much research. Hopefully, this dog will be with you for many years. My folks had dogs that lived fifteen to twenty years. Mine have only lived to be around ten. But still, if those years are not enjoyable, then neither the dog or the owner will be happy.

Ditto.

And I don't think any of this is off-topic.

This is about somebody wanting to buy a dog, who began by wondering whether the type of dog he had in mind at that point, was going to make him look 'Fruity' (Although he seems to have changed his view).

As we have demonstrated, buying a dog is really nothing about what it looks like, at all. In fact, the 'looks' should be a very low factor on the list.

Hopefully, this has been an educational thread, for many, in more ways than one.

. if he can look after a dog, he would make a good partner and parent, and I'm all over him like a rash :)

That reminds me of the commercial I saw recently about these guys who rented dogs to impress women. I forget who did it, but I chuckled at the idea. Now I see why it fits. :lmao:

With all due respect to your opinion, boxers cannot be classified as a vicious dog. And I don't say that only because I own them. I say it after researching the breed and being around many before I got my first one.

Again, I agree completely.

If you look at all the hundreds of dog breeds in existence, most today are mixes and refined combinations of other breeds, and as such have been bred to enhance and accentuate certain characteristics.

All breeds were bred for a specific function and purpose, once upon a time.

Some had speed accentuated. |Some a hunting instinct. Others, a herding instinct and others yet again, were seimply bred for warmth and entertainment!

I have found, in my long experience, that the smaller the dog, the testier they can be, too. Nipped ankles are no joke...

Some dogs are aggressive. But then, so are some humans, and this has largely come about through influence and social conditioning, rather than inbreeding.

Change the environment and the influence, and you can change the dog's behaviour.

(. . .) it is important that the breed chosen is not perceived by the majority as a "vicious" breed. Pit bulls are the best known examples, but dobermans and German Shepherds are two more that may be perceived that way. While they have not earned this reputation (at least not recently), the perception is there. It is one of the reasons that although I love the Doberman, I chose a boxer instead.

A lady I helped, thought she had an aggressive beagle. It took me less than three minutes to show her she was mistaken.

But beagles and boxers? Aggressive?

Never.

Alsatians?

No way.

Dobermans?

Not really.

Rottweilers?

Truly - they're not aggressive.

Dominant? oh yes. Powerful, yes. Unruly in the wrong hands? definitely.

Do these dogs need confident handling?

Yes.

But they're not naturally disposed towards aggression.

Research, research, research. This prevents any unpleasant surprises no matter which breed you choose.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, again.....

With all due respect to your opinion, boxers cannot be classified as a vicious dog.

They look vicious to me, they have that sort of pitbull look about them. I wouldn't be keen on dating a guy who had a Doberman or Rottweiler either, or any other dog that has the remotest reputation of being fierce. I'd be worried that if I stayed with that guy and we had kids, the dog would turn on the kids. Anything that sheds too much hair would also be right out, because I don't fancy vacuuming all the time or being covered in hair.

I have a little dog (10 inches tall) which hardly sheds and has such tiny teeth that she couldn't bite even if she wanted to. I'd be rather put off if a guy had a male dog which might try to mount my precious fluffball, or a dog which might otherwise attack or frighten her.

I didn't mean to leave out the stipulation that if you want a certain breed, do get it from a breeder who's dogs are in a comfy and healthy home environment, rather then a mill. But the moment has passed, but you know what i mean?:)

I also agree that you should research breeds, they all have different personalities in a way. For example, you don't want a big dog pre disposed to being energetic and needing lots of space to run, if you only have a small apartment.

Did you know, that the bigger the dog, the less you should exercise them in the first year?

A big dog naturally has a big skeleton, which needs to develop and be strong in order to successfully support the weight of the fully-grown dog, and at times, it's ample furry coat.....

But if a dog is exercised and run too much in its first year, it builds up muscle - at the expense of bone. The skeleton does not develop as strongly as it needs to, which can lead to joint problems, bone breaks and worse, leukaemia, later in life.

A good walk is fine, with a suitable diet.

An occasional romp is ideal, but many people think big dogs = loads of exercise, when very often, the opposite is true.

Medium and small dogs probably benefit more from good, strenuous and energetic exercise.

Big dogs were built to be just that.

Big.

Not necessarily fast, not necessarily agile, but imposing and powerful.

So if anyone considers getting a big (St Bernard, Pyrenean, Newfoundland, Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound) moderate exercise only, in the first year!

A Puli wouldn't bother me. The only dogs that would affect my perception of a potential dating situation, would be toy dogs, for example Chihuahuas. I sincerely don't know too many hetero men who want to carry their dogs around. Most prefer useful dogs.

I can see that this thread has already progressed where you've decided against one and I think this is a wise decision, considering your lifestyle. Just wait until you've got more space, unless of course, you're interested in carry-around dogs.

This does nothing for me at all...I think it's neither clever, nor cute!

And trust me - this guy is trying to project an image (always assuming, of course, that it's his choice, and his wife doesn't wear the trousers!) :D

They look vicious to me, they have that sort of pitbull look about them.

Then I guess that decides it. :) But having known a pit bull or two and many boxers, they are not the same. Hopefully one day, you will get to know one and understand their personality. It is an exuberant child-like playful one.

I wouldn't be keen on dating a guy who had a Doberman or Rottweiler either, or any other dog that has the remotest reputation of being fierce. I'd be worried that if I stayed with that guy and we had kids, the dog would turn on the kids.

This is a real concern IF the dog has not been around children no matter the breed. Even though all of the boxers I have known are friendly with children despite not growing up with them, we did not allow free access until we knew they were "safe."

By far, most dog bites to children result from either dogs who are not familiar with children or because the dogs were teased by children. Children also need to be taught how to act around dogs.

While some dogs that are bred for guarding are more susceptible to not being good around children, most all dogs can learn that children are great for play.

BTW, dobermans are actually known as "velcro dogs" because of how they cling to their owners. They need to be with their people. However, because they were known to be "vicious" in years past, most people don't get past their looks. As an owner of a boxer, I like the fact that people are somewhat wary of our dog as it does give the idea that she is guarding the house. Odd thing is, she is actually scared of strangers and would not confront one.

Normalguy, these concerns of eeyore ARE worth noting when choosing a dog. While you may not be thinking of children, if you choose a dog now and it lives ten or more years, then it is a likely possibility. You will not want to give up your dog, so now is the time to research a breed that will fit in a family, too.

I have a little dog (10 inches tall) which hardly sheds and has such tiny teeth that she couldn't bite even if she wanted to.

Don't know what type of dog you have, but you may want to think twice about her being safe around children. Many small dogs have a tougher time dealing with the rambunctiousness of children and their unpredictability. Bigger dogs take it all in stride.

And even chihuahuas have been known to bite. In fact, they do a lot of biting. Here is an article.....

Police taser, shoot boy's pet chihuahua

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/823986/police-taser-shoot-boys-2kg-chihuahua

While there is no doubt that certain breeds do bite more than others and some breeds are less "safe" around children, all breeds need to be trained to accept children. All children need to be trained how to treat dogs. Many dog bites are the result of one of both not being done. And the breed gets the bad rap instead of the lack of training by their owner.

I'd be rather put off if a guy had a male dog which might try to mount my precious fluffball, or a dog which might otherwise attack or frighten her.

annxxdisaster

Big dogs are totally the way to go anyway.

Nothing is more of a turn on for me than seeing a man be all gentle and loving with some 50+ lb beast covered with fur.

Chihuahuas are listed as the second most aggressive dogs, as defined by a substantial study done in 2008 by assorted researchers, with over 30 breeds and over 3500 animals. Dachshund's were first, pit bulls were third.

Chihuahuas and Dachshunds were equally as aggressive with people and other dogs. Pit bulls were far, far more aggressive towards other dogs, rather than humans.

They look vicious to me, they have that sort of pitbull look about them. ....I'd be worried that if I stayed with that guy and we had kids, the dog would turn on the kids.

This would be entirely circumstantial and very rarely, is it actually the dog's fault. It's more to do with how the people in the family interact with the dog.

If the dog bites, I promise you, it's because 9/10 times, it's a 'malfunction' in the family.

If you interact correctly with your dog, and teach the children everybody's place in the home - it won't bite your kids.

Anything that sheds too much hair would also be right out, because I don't fancy vacuuming all the time or being covered in hair.

Every single dog sheds. Except, apparently, a poodle. Central heating and excessive temperature fluctuations will make a dog shed its fur, as will the seasonal moult, and any skin problems. Also, psychological problems (stress) can make a dog shed fur....

I have a little dog (10 inches tall) which hardly sheds and has such tiny teeth that she couldn't bite even if she wanted to.

Oh yes she could. That's what they're for. Trust me - a small dog can inflict puncture wounds needing medical attention.

I'm not saying your dog is a biter or aggressively minded. I'm just telling you to never believe a little dog 'can't bite' because they can. And do.

I'd be rather put off if a guy had a male dog which might try to mount my precious fluffball, or a dog which might otherwise attack or frighten her.

Mating dogs only happens if they haven't been neutered. If they have, you have no worries.

besides, mounting, within the home, is a dominant gesture, and won't happen if things are held in the right order.

And again, if she gets frightened - it's only because you're anxious and frightened first. Don't forget, she's 97% genetically wolf. Just like any other dog......

My old neighbor had a puli. He used to keep the coat trimmed pretty short. Fun , rough and tumble sort of dog. Smart like a poodle but not so fussy looking.

Then I guess that decides it. :) But having known a pit bull or two and many boxers, they are not the same. Hopefully one day, you will get to know one and understand their personality. It is an exuberant child-like playful one.

Sorry :( I don't mean to be horrible, I just feel prejudiced against dogs that look nasty, if you know what I mean, or dogs like Dobermans/Rottweilers etc that have a bad reputation. The point is, if I don't like nasty looking dogs and worry about whether they would integrate into a family later on, then maybe other ladies have the same worries and would be put off dating a guy who owns such a dog.

It's important to consider how your life might change in the next decade or so before you buy a dog... I specifically chose a small and cuddly dog which is supposedly good with kids and doesn't need much walking, because I'd hope to have kids during the 15-year-ish lifespan of my dog. I also chose a dog which is supposedly hypoallergenic, and then just happened to end up dating a guy with allergies, which thankfully aren't particularly affected by my dog. That's another issue - would the OP be prepared to decline dates if the lady is allergic to dogs, or even get rid of his dog? Food for thought...

As an FYI, Eeyore, Dobies were listed as 15th and Rotties, as 18th, on the list of aggressive dogs. The likes of Jack Russell Terriers, Beagles, Soft-coated Wheaten Terriers and Cocker Spaniels, ranked ahead of them in aggression.

Try not to judge a dog by its cover.

Sorry :( I don't mean to be horrible, I just feel prejudiced against dogs that look nasty, if you know what I mean, or dogs like Dobermans/Rottweilers etc that have a bad reputation. The point is, if I don't like nasty looking dogs and worry about whether they would integrate into a family later on, then maybe other ladies have the same worries and would be put off dating a guy who owns such a dog.

Don't get me wrong. I think you have valid points, but I think knowing a boxer or a Doberman or a Rottie may change your opinion.

But two good points here......

How will the dog look to others? Will they be scared to date you because of the dog you have? Is this important?

The other thing is...should a guy or a girl who is single, choose a dog based on how the opposite sex will perceive him or her?

It's important to consider how your life might change in the next decade or so before you buy a dog...

It is VERY important. As an example, we chose a cat in our early marriage for companionship. But when kids came, this cat did not like children. After he bit our little boy, I was forced to give him up. It was hard as he was my buddy. That taught me to never get an animal that could not fit into my future, too. We had an inkling he would not like children as he bit my nephew (or was it a niece) shortly after we had him.

That's another issue - would the OP be prepared to decline dates if the lady is allergic to dogs, or even get rid of his dog? Food for thought...

Good point. For me, it would be a deal breaker if I found out before I "fell in love" with a woman. To know that for the rest of my life (assuming I was married the whole time), I would never have the dogs that I wanted...well, this would hurt. Thankfully that did not happen.

Try not to judge a dog by its cover.

I agree.

That is why it is so good to actually meet a dog of the breed you choose. Just getting a puppy without knowing what they will be like as an adult is not good.

Unfortunately, while I agree with this statement myself, many have preconceived notions of what a breed is like based on either actual experiences (which may be an isolated case) or from the media (which probably are also exceptions). So when we do purchase a dog, this is a factor that may need to be considered.

And because of others and my own perceptions, it does mean that I will not own certain breeds even though I would own other breeds that seem similar. For instance, I would not own a Rottie but I would a Doberman. I would own a Boxer but never a Pit Bull. And I would never own a chihuahua but I would own a Yorkie.

Again, OP, if you still keep up with this thread, getting a dog is no small matter. It will affect more of your life now and in the future than you probably imagine.

• Author

Hey thanks for the help everyone.

I've decided to adopt. Thing is about 60% of the dogs in my area are pitbull mixes which are banned in my apartment, then there are a few lab mixes, and like one great dane mix.

I'm looking at the lab mixes, I've found 5. A lab x hound, a lab x boxer, a lab x american bulldog, and two full blooded labs.

What does everyone think about labs? It says on DBI that they will do OK in an apartment, not great but ok. I'll probably end up getting one of the mixes beceause I've read that mixes tend to be healthier overall.

Also my mom had the great idea that I buy one of those cheap netbooks with a 3g modem and do my schoolwork at the dogpark. 4+ hours at the dogpark every day, I don't see how the dog could be happier.

We've recently adopted an eight year old lab, from friends. He's a wonderful dog, well trained and gentle with people. But I would never try to confine him in an apartment. He's happy having the backyard to run around in during the day and then, when my husband comes home, he takes him on a run.

Since he's started living with us, he's lost some of his extra poundage and is really happy, since he's gets the exercise, freedom and also, attention he needs, since I work from home.

I miss having a dog so much.

It aches to talk about this, you know?

Really, it does.

You have no idea....

Our circumstances mean that right now, it would be completely impossible for me to have a dog.

Environmentally, work-wise, time-wise.... really.

Out of the question.

But I do so miss having my own dog....

I envy people who have that opportunity.

you're so lucky!

Cherish it! :o

:)

OP, any of the mixes you list that are permitted in your apartment are fine, personality is much more important. Take lots of time meeting them. If you are commited to running the dog and have a dog park nearby, any of those is fine. Make sure to check for loose coats though, extremely important in an apartment with no yard.

As a lab owner, personal bias, they are generally the most intelligent I've experienced, but also the most heart wrenching to say goodbye to.

annxxdisaster
Hey thanks for the help everyone.

I've decided to adopt. Thing is about 60% of the dogs in my area are pitbull mixes which are banned in my apartment, then there are a few lab mixes, and like one great dane mix.

I'm looking at the lab mixes, I've found 5. A lab x hound, a lab x boxer, a lab x american bulldog, and two full blooded labs.

What does everyone think about labs? It says on DBI that they will do OK in an apartment, not great but ok. I'll probably end up getting one of the mixes beceause I've read that mixes tend to be healthier overall.

Also my mom had the great idea that I buy one of those cheap netbooks with a 3g modem and do my schoolwork at the dogpark. 4+ hours at the dogpark every day, I don't see how the dog could be happier.

I don't know if this has already been said--but that's too bad about the Great Dane thing. Because from what I have read about Great Danes--they're actually the best breed of dog to be living in an apartment or a small space.

They're soo biiig and snuggly too. That's a real shame. :(

OP, it sounds like you're a student... have you considered what would happen to the dog after you graduate and get a full-time job?