"I would never do anything to hurt you"

conehead

Met a guy a month ago, went out twice but chat all the time, then I told him I'm not ready to date him. Partly because I have insecurity issues and he got out of a 2 month relationship just 2 weeks before I met him. 2 months is not a long time I know, but I've heard him reference her once in awhile, which kind of raise red flags for me.

He pleads for a second chance and even throws in the 'I would never do anything to hurt you' line. Do you think that statement is a red flag in itself? I told him 'I dont think it's something you can really say to someone, especially someone you barely know for a month, because sometimes your feelings can change and it's not in your control.'

He did not reply back to my comment. So what do you all think? Can you take someone seriously after they tell you that line?

The Paper Knight

I must admit I have used it before and during a getting dumped speech!

I felt at the time it might help comfort her, as she was crying and pretty confused about us. I knew she had been hurt before, so I thought it was appropriate.

In the end it just seems kind of like a throw away line one uses in the heat of the moment, as one tries not to get dumped.

Edited by The Paper Knight