FWB b/c I don't want to lose him completely

I recently re-united with my high school sweetheart. We hit it off and things went well. I was going through a divorce and he had a girlfriend. We hung out one night and kissed. I made it clear that b/c of the intense feelings we were having, that if we were to see each other again, he had to be single.

Fast forward a few weeks. We'd talked about the g/f a bit, but I basically let it drop since I said my piece and he said he would deal with it. He came over and of course we were intimate. Then I found out he did not deal with the g/f.

Ok, so we have a lot of discussion on is he in love with the g/f which he says no. They actually seem to have a very casual relationship where they hardly see each other, but who really knows. He says it's not that, he just needs to "figure things out" or other lame excuses.

So, I was miserable without him for a few weeks. We had a long history and I've loved him for so long, it was actually harder to get over him this time than my ex-husband. He has certainly said he loves me, etc... just that he is confused, and needs to deal with things. When we do talk about feelings, he disappears for a few weeks - will not answer text or phone.

Anyways, finally, b/c I wanted to see him I suggested we be "friends with benefits". I guess I thought maybe if we did that I could "win him over" or woo him to me. Since I said we could be FWB, he has been flirty and fun, has kept in contact, etc...

So, my question is - does that ever work? I am not able to be FWB and NOT have an emotional attachment to him, I love him. This hurts, but I think not having him at all hurt worse.

Anyways, any advice is appreciated.

No, it won't work. And from a guy's perspective, from what you've written, he has zero intention of ever getting together (you'd already be there). Save yourself the inevitable disappointment.

Edited by Fouts
  • Author

You are right.....I prolly already knew that just wanted someone to agree with me. I really need to just walk away.