Should I tell her how I feel?

Ok, storys a bit long but gonna go for it anyway.

2ish years ago at a mates birthday party, I met my old mates girlfriend and we got talking, and I showed an interest but not too much because she was taken, and I got her phone number but then I had my phone nicked ¬¬

Moving on, 2 years later they've now split up and Ive been out with her, as a mate, a few times to a local pub with another 2 friends but she's going to uni in october and I dont know whether to tell her or not because her ex, my ex best mate, treated her like s**t and she said she doesnt want to go to uni in a relationship because of trust issues because of Chris, and she knows (cos I told her) that I would treat her better than he did. Anyway - point is, should I say something to her? Its been 2 years and I dont know if she likes me or whatever, but we're good mates I think and I dont really want to ruin that kinda, bond? As it were?

Any help?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I'm getting the impression here that she's sort of warning you off any involvement. She's said she doesn't want to start uni whilst in a relationship. I have to say that it would not be wise to get involved with someone who is going off to uni. The opportunities to meet lots of interesting members of the opposite sex there are huge and maintaining a relationship with someone from back home (possible over a great distance) is really difficult. Some people manage it, but it can be a rocky road.

Also, she's talking about her fears and how they are affecting her. In this context, I still think she's subtly warning you off. It's a long time since she was with this ex and she knows you well. She knows whether or not she can trust you. If she's still talking about fears now with you, it's a convenient excuse for why she won't get involved. I feel she does not want to start a romantic relationship with you. Sorry, I wish I could give better news.

• 2 weeks later...