Feelings for my best friend.

I've been friends with this guy for about 2.5 years. When we first started hanging out, we also tried dating, and eventually, it broke off, because he had a crush on another girl at the same time, and couldn't decide who he liked more. So, he broke it off with both of us to be fair.

It took a long, long while for us to get our friendship sorted out, and get some boundries up so that neither of us would feel awkward or hurt. Within the past two months, we've grown closer than ever before. I'd have to say that he was my best friend there for a while. But on New Year's Eve, we went out together, and things changed. We came back to my house, and watched a movie. During the movie, we ended up playing with each other's hair (A big turn-on for both of us). This progressed to us laying in each other's arms on the couch. Things were silent for a while, then he asks me out of the blue if I thought that he and I could work out as a couple. I swear, my heart dropped to my stomach, and started pounding. I've been in love with this guy for years, and he's asking something I never dared dream he'd ask.

I told him I didn't see why not. We got along well, we enjoyed each other's company. We were a good match. But seeing as how I'd just gotten out of a relationship, if we did decide to pursue things, I'd want to go pretty slow. He said something to the effect of that he hadn't wanted to hear that, but it was cool. So, we snuggled some more on the couch, and shared a few long, meaningful hugs before he left. No kisses, no sex. We both behaved ourselves.

I saw him on the first and second, and each time we were together, we were inseperable. We held hands, we sat together in restaraunts with our legs touching. He asked me to attend church with him, and even signed his emails "Love, Chad." I was in heaven! And just to make sure that things weren't too good to be true, I told him that I wanted to be sure that he was cool with dating. To protect my heart, you see.

Then Friday comes, and he says that he wants to slow things up a touch. Says that he can't treat me the way I deserve to be treated. The consensus among our mutual best friends is that he's scared, and confused, and doesn't know what he wants. So, I sat down with him, and told him that all I wanted was a yes or no. Yes, there's a chance for us, or No, to give up. He answered No, give up. So I have. But I can't move on. He's my best friend. I love this guy so much it scares me. I cannot stay mad at him, and I can't blame him for what happened, because I don't really think it's anyone's fault. But I also can't ignore how tenderly he treated me, and how he looked at me, and how he treats me now. He sometimes acts like my boyfriend! You can't fake the way he looked at me, and the way he talked to me. You can't fake the stuff that happened between me and him. Both Shelly and Seth say he likes me; I don't doubt them. He admitted it. It's never been a question. They both say that the chemistry and tension between him and I is almost tangible. Bottom line is, I'm confused, and I'm hurt, and I don't know whether to try to destroy that little bit of hope that still lingers in the bottom of my heart, or to not rule it out entirely.

Opinions?

many people are very nervous about forming relationships with friends, for they start thinking what if thoughts. i know these thoughts come with any relationship, but when it's with a friend you get the... what if i hurt them? will we still be best friends afterwards? this makes some people think twice about going into a relationship that usually is better then any other relationship they have been in.

the girl i am with now, i met 12 years ago. her brother and i were best friends, she was like a sister. we moved apart from one another awhile back. my brother and i moved into an apartment complex and year and half ago only to find out they live across the street from us once again. her brother and i are best of friends again, and she is a beautiful girl. seeing her everyday, i fell hard. but i never made a move, i kept thinking what if it doesn't work out.... what would happen to our friendship then. i thought about it for quite some time, i already knew how she felt about me. finally i decided, i know everything about her and family. there wasn't anything to be nervous about, and if it didn't work out... we tried.

that's my little story about a relationship with a friend... and it's the best thing that has happened to me.

- Yeti

• Author

I don't know. Maybe it will come with time. I like to think he's seen me and my worst, and my best, and he's still in my life.

I had a teacher in high school tell me that too...that the best relationships are formed out of friendships. I'd like to try, but he's not letting me! *L*

He was my designated driver for my birthday last night. There were times I looked over at him, and he was looking at me with this thoughtful expression on his face.

He really does take care of me. Lectures me on eating right, and drinking lots of water, and getting lots of sleep. I don't think he does this entirely out of friendship, of course...I don't really see him around his other female friends.