friends or more?

Hey... just wanted to put my story out here and get some opinions.

Basically, I've been at a 6th Form college since September '08 and will be leaving in June this year. During my time at college I've become friends with a guy who I did not see as anything more than a friend - until about October or November this year. At that time, he had a girlfriend and I was seeing someone, so nothing happened, but we have since both become single.

Since around this October/November time when I realised I liked him, I've been picking up on some signs that he might like me back - calling me beautiful (this was when he had a girlfriend still), saying he loves me, some flirting - but it never really turned into anything until fairly recently. We've become much closer in the past 2 months or so, to the extent that I would call him my best friend, and the flirting has continued. But in the past couple of weeks, we have started meeting up (just the two of us), are being seen as something of a 'couple' by our friendship group, and the amount of touching (hugging, hand-holding, back rubs, linking arms) has gone up too. I keep worrying though, that I'm misreading this as flirting or 'signs he likes me' when it's actually just him being friendly. There has been a bit of 'naughty talk' between us as well - but there again I'm worried, this time that he might just be joking.

So my issue is this: how do I go from here - best friends - to more? Is it even possible? I'm scared to ask him out for fear of ruining what we've got, but would really like to be in a relationship with him - he's basically my idea of the perfect boyfriend and a lovely person too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

xxx:love: