Why do it yourself therapy usually doesn't work

I couldn't use the phrase 'self-help' in my thread title, for some odd reason.

From the Huffington Post. After reading the article, scroll down past the ads to read comments from other readers. I wish I had known about this before spending thousands of dollars over the past couple of decades.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/morty-lefkoe/why-self-help-usually-doe_b_540825.html

I couldn't use the phrase 'self-help' in my thread title, for some odd reason.

From the Huffington Post. After reading the article, scroll down past the ads to read comments from other readers. I wish I had known about this before spending thousands of dollars over the past couple of decades.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/morty-lefkoe/why-self-help-usually-doe_b_540825.html

How can you help yourself, if your self sucks.

• Author

Go to the recreateyourlife(dot)com website and eliminate one belief and see how different you feel. You have to speak out loud so you need privacy.

My instinct, having had professional therapy, is that the structure, challenge and support of a trained professional is hard to recreate in the do-it-yourself environment. Once the tools are learned in a professional setting, one can use them in a self-help situation, reverting back to the professional as indicated. Awareness is heightened, presuming the therapy is effective.

I did the 'self-help' thing years ago. Depression was the result. Not healthy...

brokenblade

I don't know about anyone else but I have gotten myself out of (deep) depression. I have raised my sense of self worth and I have stabilized my mentality all by myself.

I did it through experimenting and writing and exercise, (without drugs as well)

Okay, I can't say I did it myself but it was the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit. (God is real).