What is the real defintion of Friends with Benefits?

WildWildWest

Can someone please tell me the definition for FWB? and all the rules that apply... I kno what it means to me but I wanna see if other ppl have the same idea as me.

LucreziaBorgia

It is a sexual (and sometimes dating) relationship with no commitment or obligation. There might be genuine affection, but not to the extent that one or either party involved would want to make a committed monogamous relationship out of it.

FWB benefits relationships revolve around mutual use. The idea is to enjoy physical intimacy with someone while strenuously avoiding emotional intimacy.

In theory, each partner benefits by getting uncomplicated sex. In practice, FWB relationships can get quite ugly and exploitative, at least over the long term. Also, in most caes, FWB operate to the benefit of men and to the deteriment of women. This is not always the case, but it often is.

Women often enter into FWB arrangements in the belief they can grow into "something more." But this almost never happens.

The problem is that for most women, a commited, LTR is the best of all possible worlds. However, for most men, FWB is the best of all possible worlds. In a FWB, a man gets all the advantages of a LTR--affection, sex, companionship--but with no strings. FWB is the ultimate win/win, have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too as far as men are concerned. Once a man gets a woman in a FWB, he will NEVER want it to become "something more." Why would he? He is already getting everything he wants--for free!

"Something more " would be a step backwards from the male point of view, since it would confer additional obligations on him while adding no new benefits. This is why if a man's FWB partner presses him to make the relationship more serious, he will usually just dump her and find a new FWB. Many men actually prefer FWB to having a GF. They will often try for FWB if they can get it, and only settle for having a GF if they can't.

YES, I KNOW THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS!!!!